A Man gots to do what a Man gots to do....

GrillsGoneWild

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I got home last night and my wife says "You daughter has something to tell you".
So my sweet middle girl, age 4 says "Daddy, my dance class is going to have a dance recital in May. Are you going to go see me?"
I say "of course honey, I wouldn't miss it for anything"
So my wife looks at me and says "You won't miss it for anything?"
I said "That's right".
She follows up and says "I guess you need to cancel your trip to Austin then because that is the same day as the Sam's Club Cook off".:doh:
I just sat in my chair and stared. You see, I have been very excited that I got in under the wire to join some elite cookers down in Austin for the Sam's Club cookoff qualifier. All the scenarios ran through my head of maybe I can leave right after turn ins, etc. Then I came to my senses. My little girl is going to be more excited about me seeing her dance more than me possibly doing good in the qualifier and moving onto the regionals.
Not sure if KCBS will refund me the $250 and let the next person on the waiting list in there or not.:pray:
So all those in the Austin cookoff, good luck!! I guess I'll just have to judge the regionals in Ft. Worth instead to enjoy this event.

see if they will let you switch to Sata Fe. They still have some spots

Sorry to hear that. I took the "better to go ahead and ask for permission later" route. The Marietta contest starts the day after my wife's birthday...meaning we'll not be "going somewhere on her birthday weekend". She takes them birthdays seriously.

But she said 'tis ok (for now).

I would go for a switch to the Conroe event the weekend after (anyone want to switch events), but anything other than that is too far to drive right now with gas prices.
Pigs-I already took that route. I signed up for the event then told her about it and the cost that will go with it. After she got down flying around on her broom, she got back to cleaning with it. :)
Then this recital popped up....wish it was already scheduled and on the calendar before I made plans. Looks like I'm going to need the refund after my wife tells me all the costumes we have to be for this recital......

Been there and done the same thing myself more than once. You made the right choice, no doubt about it. Make it a special day for your daughter. :thumb:

Regarding the refund, I have an email from KCBS stating you CAN get a refund, minus the PayPal fees. So you're good to go.

It's ok...you can get your money...but you have to take the receipt of payment back to a Sams Club why they judge you and make you feel like you stole it.

I had plans to win this event anyways, so don't worry about it.

Don't listen to Rub, that guy has seen more choreography than a sorority girl that red box rented all 10 seasons of SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE...Seacrest OUT.

Consider it a deposit to the Karma Kitty.

Karma Kitty rewards good behavior 10 fold.... (According to a decision made by drinking buddies one guy's weekend)

I hope Karma Kitty is extra generous to you.

DanD

I got home last night and my wife says "You daughter has something to tell you".
So my sweet middle girl, age 4 says "Daddy, my dance class is going to have a dance recital in May. Are you going to go see me?"
I say "of course honey, I wouldn't miss it for anything"
So my wife looks at me and says "You won't miss it for anything?"
I said "That's right".
She follows up and says "I guess you need to cancel your trip to Austin then because that is the same day as the Sam's Club Cook off".:doh:
I just sat in my chair and stared. You see, I have been very excited that I got in under the wire to join some elite cookers down in Austin for the Sam's Club cookoff qualifier. All the scenarios ran through my head of maybe I can leave right after turn ins, etc. Then I came to my senses. My little girl is going to be more excited about me seeing her dance more than me possibly doing good in the qualifier and moving onto the regionals.
Not sure if KCBS will refund me the $250 and let the next person on the waiting list in there or not.:pray:
So all those in the Austin cookoff, good luck!! I guess I'll just have to judge the regionals in Ft. Worth instead to enjoy this event.

You did the right thing! As a father of two young girls I'd sacrafice anything to see them happy.

You did the right thing! As a father of two young girls I'd sacrafice anything to see them happy.

You said it....having to skip a contest to make your kid(s) happy is a pretty easy pill to swallow....However if it was the Jack....we would have to bring in arbitration.

I applaud your honor. Your word needs to have value in your kids eyes regardless of the circumstances. However, it sounds like you got setup, bamboozled, ambushed. Good luck.

As a dad who missed more than a few of his son's performances due to work related travel, I commend you for choosing to make your daughter's recital. You can't get those missed opportunities back and I know I regret having to be gone so often. Sounds like this is just the beginning for you though...:clap2:

Sounds like your wife set you up.......

You think so..:roll:

Yep, when she got the info from the dance class and checked the calendar she knew to send in the little blonde, blue eyed girl to ask her daddy the question.
This is only a hobby and there will be plenty more cookoffs.

I heard there was going to be a kcbs certified comp coming up that will have a dance-off category. Smoking Gnome might have that one in the bag.

Setup is right!! That was ruthless especially if she knew it was already paid for and your team was counting on you.

No "United Front" at your house... blind sided indeed.

As a father of a 25 year old daughter, being at her dance recital is more important. As the husband of a dance teacher wife, being at her dance recital is MUCH more important. In 20 years which will you and THEY remember?

Back