Grilled Flank Steak with Hubba Hubba Sauce

swibirun

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I'd like to say I created Hubba Hubba sauce on purpose. But truth be told, I was just looking for something to amp up the flavor of a grilled flank steak that I didn't have time to marinade.

DSC_0020resized-2.jpg

Grilled Flank Steak with Hubba Hubba Sauce
Source: NibbleMeThis

1 ea flank steak (mine was 1.85 lbs)
2 tsp pepper
2 kosher salt
1 Tbsp butter
1 small shallot, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 cup marsala wine
2 Tbsp demi-glace
1/4 cup beef stock
1 Tbsp chives, chopped

Fire up your grill for a direct heat cook at 500f. I prefer charcoal but I won't hate on you if you use gas or a broiler. (But charcoal is better.....I'm just sayin'. I won't bash you for using gas, don't bash me for being right.)

Score the flank steak at 1" intervals and season with salt and pepper. Instead of "just" pepper, I used some of Richard FL's Indian River Rainbow Pepper which ABSOFREAKINGLUTELY rocks with flavor. Too bad you can't buy it, he just makes it for a few fellow Eggheads . But you could use one of those tri-color pepper blends or even "just" pepper.

Grill the flank steak for 3 minutes.

DSC_0009resized.jpg

Flip and cook another 3 minutes. Flip the steak that is. I don't expect YOU to do a front or back flip. Unless you feel so inclined, then have at it. But if you aren't a trained gymnast and you have to say, "Here, hold my beer" first, I'd recommend against it.

Flip and cook for 1 minute. Ever notice that some flank steaks look like you are grilling a beaver's tail?

DSC_0013resized-1.jpg

Flip and cook for 30 seconds and them temp check. It should be about 125f now, which is PERFECT for medium rare flank steak. If you insist on ruining....errrr....if you prefer a medium steak, cook another minute or two.

Pull the flank steak and rest it on a raised rack.

While the steak is resting, heat a pan over medium heat and THEN add 1 Tbsp of butter. The THEN is a major difference. I used to throw oil (butter, oil, etc) into a cold pan and bring them up to heat together.

Saute the shallot for 4-5 minutes, until softened. Add the garlic and cook for another minute.

Deglaze the pan with marsala wine and simmer for 3-4 minutes.
Stir in the demi-glace and simmer for 1 minute.

Kill the heat and add the chives.

Slice the steak thinly across the grain in 1/4" slices and top with the sauce.

DSC_0017resized-1.jpg

For a dinner that was only intended to be time efficient, the Hubba Hubba Sauce was, well....."hubba hubba". Flank steak signed up for e-Harmony.com and this sauce was his perfect match!

Unfortunately for flank steak, Hubba Hubba sauce isn't as selective. It would go excellently with any steak such as fillet, ribeye, or a porterhouse.

Outstanding pics :thumb:

Sounds very good as I will give it a shot on a flat iron, thanks!

The depth of field on that last photo belongs in food magazine...Spectacular :clap2:

WOW ! Thanks for the post, recipe and pron. :thumb:

Now that is fine. Thanks for the recipe, sounds really good!

Back