• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Latches Help for Refrigerator Clone Build

Philly-QueMaster

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I'm gathering materials for my commercial refrigerator that I'm turning into a Stumps Clone. I'm having trouble trying to figure out what kind of latches I can use to keep the door shut tighly and secure. Most of the stumps clones I see the doors are the same size and flush with the fram which makes latching the door closed pretty easy. My refrigerator has about about a 2" lip going all the way around the door. Im not sure what is the best way to make sure it closes and seals properly. Below is a picture. Any help and advice on what to use would be great.

Commercial_Fridge.jpg

http://www.mcmaster.com/#freezer-latches/=7wragw

About Door Edge-Mount and Door Face-Mount Push-to-Close Latches
Edge Mount
Face Mount
The push-to-close latches on this page are commonly used on refrigerator, oven, and industrial-enclosure doors.
Door edge-mount latches mount vertically to the side edge of the door with the strike mounted behind it on the face of the frame. Latches need at least a 3/4" offset (space between front of the door and front of the frame).
Door face-mount latches mount horizontally to the front of the door with the strike mounted adjacent to it on the frame. Face-mount latches can mount to a door that is flush with the frame, or where there is some offset.

Thanks Norco, I'm still somewhat confused about what will work. I think I need an offset latch or something. As you can see from my picture the door frame isn't flush with the main body of the smoker. I just can't picture how these will work as they look to be for doors that are flush and not offset. Sorry but I'm a visual person and need to see how they look on a door or something.

I believe post #6 would work well. Looks like the latch is an offset design. However the handle would stick out on the side but it would work. I used a low tech approach and used ratchet type straps on the top and middle. Worked fine but not the most refined approach

Lousiana that does look like it would work, and it would be a much cheaper alternative to the commercial strike plate ones. Thanks again Norco...I couldn't picture it the first time I looked at it.

How about the first latch in post #2. Handle mounts to door through holes in side(holes c-b) and T post mounts on face of cabinet. (holes f-e)

How about the first latch in post #2. Handle mounts to door through holes in side(holes c-b) and T post mounts on face of cabinet. (holes f-e)

This would probably be the best option. Its a litte pricey..I think around $50-60, but would definitely look the best. I'm going to check out lowes and home depot tomorrow and see what they have. Thanks again.

The gate latch from Lowes might work, but they are not designed to latch as tightly as I think you want. (I had one on a privacy fence gate.) Anything that protrudes very far from the lip of the door frame is a serious hazard. You risk gouging you arm or worse if you turn wrong or pull away fast. (personal experience on above mentioned gate)

I think a draw latch would probably do what you need to do, with a minimum if any modification. A quick search found these for illustrative purposes.

http://www.allegiscorp.com/jsp/displayTypes.jsp?cat=Draw+Latches

When my daughter learned to walk, we couldn't keep her out of the fridge. We used strips of self-adhesive, heavy duty velcro across the door face and along the side of the cabinet to keep her out. Cheap and effective.

Good luck,

Chris

Most of the stumps clones I see the doors are the same size and flush with the fram which makes latching the door closed pretty easy. My refrigerator has about about a 2" lip going all the way around the door.

Backwoods smokers have a lip around the door, and they use latches similar to what Norcoredneck shows.

Door Edge-Mount Latches— These are adjustable to compensate for changes in offset caused by sagging doors and worn or flattened gaskets

http://www.backwoodsok.com/index.html

be sure to post pics of your progress I have been wanting to build one of these out of a fridge myself..

THanks everyone. It looks like the edmount-latches that the Stumps use would work. I didn't realize they were adjustable for offset applications.

Great advices on latches. I am needing one for my insulated vertical with a flush door.

Back