All Wood on the UDS

The only way I can see all wood working is if you have an offset fire box, or use really small wood chunks, that defeats the purpose of the smoker adding wood every 5 minutes.

I see your point BRBBQ, but this will not be done like this on a regular Basis-just once on a trial run.. I was however, going to try and go all wood at all times, but I have since changed my thinking on this!! I am going to do it once though.. My method of fuel will be Lump and a lot of Wood added!! There's nothing like that pure wood taste!!

Love to hear your results,
I've gone to lump with wood chunks[apple mostly] exclusively in my UDS.
I didn't like the start up smell of the K that would be happening all through my cook.
All wood sounds worth a try.Might be REALLY smokey.
Rockyathabaska

weber 22" perfomer
weber 18" kettle
weber silver B gasser
UDS

I think that it's Mark who uses wood in his UDS. Maybe he will check in later.
Checking in. Yup; my UDS is designed for all-wood. That means you will be adding fuel. That also means a door as well as a way of letting more air in until the fire starts burning nicely. Keeping the door open helps but I also have a unique air inlet system. Here's some pics:

Attachments

• DSC00018.JPG
    DSC00018.JPG
    80.5 KB · Views: 342
  • DSC00002.JPG
    DSC00002.JPG
    80.2 KB · Views: 336
  • DSC00003.JPG
    DSC00003.JPG
    74 KB · Views: 335
  • DSC00004.JPG
    DSC00004.JPG
    84.2 KB · Views: 334
  • DSC00005.JPG
    DSC00005.JPG
    70.6 KB · Views: 335
I know hahahaha...And the kidding thing about it all is that I used Lump for a whole year on my Webber Kettle...But the all wood that I was talking about is Logs or Chunks

All wood cooking on a UDS?

Start a couple hours early, build a big fire with cooking quality wood and burn it down to smoldering chunks.
Load chunks into UDS charcoal basket til full, load in UDS.
Begin cooking.

Or try some lump.

Thank You EatRBBQ I will try that with my Allwood Experiment Hope to have some PRON soon...

Back