• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Bacon Curing

K

KuyasKitchen

I have a question about curing bacon. I've had really good luck so far. But, this batch something has happened that has me puzzled.

Normally when the bacon cures, the meat gets firm after about a week.

This batch, it's been 10 days and some of the meat (each in different vacuum-sealed bags) hasn't firmed up. Some has.

Is there something wrong? Should I toss the non-firm meat? Should I give it more time?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi James, I'd love to give you advice, but that could frankly be dangerous. :tape:. You're really the only one who can tell. We can't smell it, and and photo's might not help either. In the interests of your own safety, you'll have to make your own decision on it.

Sorry.

Bill

So, not hard might still be cured and OK? Should I leave it vac-sealed longer in the hopes that it'll harden?

Or, just open it, smell it ... toss it if it's bad.

:rolleyes:Did you boil the water and let it cool or is this a dry cure???

Dry cure. Vac-sealed. The cured in the fridge. Turned over daily.

Open it now, wash it out, see what it stinks like. In all likelihood, if you leave it any longer, it will be way to salty in any case. IF you do move on to smoking it... definately you'll need a hot smoke.

I'm pulling out my whole pork loin today from a dry cure. Can't wait to try it!

Thanks, I'll do that now.

I hope yours turns out well ... I love Canadian bacon.

You might want to PM Thirdeye with your question. He is the master. Good luck and post what you find out.

My meat seems OK. Smells fine. Has the right color. Just didn't firm up. So, I have it in a water bath right now since it was in its cure about 50% longer than usual.

In a little less than 2 hours, it's going to get a hot smoke.

not yet ... batch had too much salt in it anyway (I realized this AFTER I sealed all the bags). So, an hour in the water will do it good.

After that, I'll slice off a small piece of check the salt levels.

Mine's in smoking now. Fried up a small piece ... relatively tasteless. That's normal until after smoking when it just gets awesome.

Sounds great! I was going to chime in to suggest the same, just open it and do the sniff test, but figured you might want a more seasoned bacon curing opinion like thirdeye or cowgirl to chime in.:cool:

Can't wait to see some finished pics!:hungry:

I'd love them to chime in! But ... they're likely asleep right now. So, I actually tried it myself. :)

Here are some working pictures ... will slice tomorrow after the smoked bacon has had a night in the freezer.

20100320103.jpg

20100320102.jpg

Looks good!

I've never really paid attention to firmness, but I don't do bellies very much, mostly BBB. I've started using about 1/2 of the TQ that is called for and it still cures up just fine, less salty though - and I'm ok with that!

Back