View Single Post
Old 06-13-2018, 08:40 AM   #26
JS-TX
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArnieTex View Post
Very very well stated GB, you nailed it!
We don't have a problem with boring chicken in Texas, recently "ugly burnt birds win" is an ongoing and true joke"
The issue I see here is the OP is expecting bbq to taste like what he likes,
" I did give a flavor "9" to one of the red chickens because the cook got a nice mild smoke flavor into it. Otherwise, the red chicken thighs I've been getting are pretty much an 8 for me.

Wings?? How about some wings? Last week I did a batch at home Weber/vortex with Oakridge Secret Weapon rub and a few chunks of apple wood tossed in the coals. I would love to get something like that in a turn-in box!"

that's a very big problem in Texas where team members are allowed to judge, they always or in 99% of the cases score based on their own perception of what bbq is instead of listening to what the table monitor tells them to do. But we do still have a very different scoring system that needs to be overhauled very soon.
"
Your the judge, you should score it as presented. Didn't you learn that in the class?

You shouldn't be asking anyone on what good chicken is or how it should be presented or why it's presented like that, just score it for what the cook presented. It's just that simple!"
This

In our Texas style competition classes we teach what I call the "6,7,8 strategy" I dont want the judges to LOVE my food but I do want every judge on the table to at least LIKE it which usually means at least 6,7, or 8 in scores and will give an overall total that will usually win or at least get a walk in the top ten. If 9's and 10's are received I just call it a bonus.
ArnieTex

OP no disrespect just saying that we cook to get those middle of the road scores that total out high enough to hopefully win.
thanks
Well said Arnie, as comp cooks we want to wow everyone's taste buds including our own, but sometimes we get in trouble trying to do that. Judges don't share our taste buds and expectations of what good BBQ is. It's like trying to stand out in a black tie affair.. be careful lol
JS-TX is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->