View Single Post
Old 06-23-2019, 07:34 PM   #3195
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marubozo View Post
It's been a while, hasn't it? So a quick update since rumors are spreading like wildfire online...

I bailed on the venture at Coach's. Owners never did provide me with the right tools, the larger smoker they promised me, compensation promised, and so on. In fact I caught wind a few months ago that NHG was considering selling the building entirely, so I began to explore my options. In the meantime I took a position at Journeyman Distillery not far from here. Cooking, but not BBQ this time.

Meanwhile, I was casually talking about opening the Prized Pig again with a friend who has always expressed interest in being a financial backer for such an endeavor. It just so happens that a restaurant space just opened up that we were both very familiar with and he did the legwork to see about taking it over. We're just awaiting approval from the city regarding the smoker location/installation. Get a green light there and we'll have the keys this week.

It's largely turnkey, but some construction will be required for the smoker, and some kitchen equipment will need to be swapped for other items to work with the BBQ concept, but a late summer opening is looking obtainable.

It's going to be very much like the original, same name, logo, food, etc. Major difference is it's a bigger place, full bar and liquor license, and a downtown location and not out in the rural sticks. And lots of lessons learned, hopefully no repeated mistakes, and a successful outcome.

Yes, I think I'm crazy doing this again, but it's always been in the back of my mind to get it open again and it looks like now is the time. As more details become sharable I will be sure to update them here.

Best of luck to you, and remember - no matter what happens, we got a killer pickle recipe out of the deal.

Seriously though - hope the next leg of your journey goes great! You've inspired many here - some to open a restaurant, and some to not open a restaurant! Your tenacity and drive are to be commended. I hope to eat at your place one day.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->