Going Semi-Hot and Fast...is there such a thing??

GrillsGoneWild

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I'm not sure if 275 is considered cooking Hot and Fast....

I've don't have time this weekend for an overnight or all day cook on a brisket, that I usually have to tend to when smoking at 225-240. I'm thinking of jumping the temp to 275+. I have a 10lb. and 14lb. brisket, plus a couple of 8.5 lb pork butts.
Not only am I trying a higher temp on this cook, but going to wrap it up in butcher paper (Aaron Franklin style).
So how about how long should I expect for the bark to set in at 275 before I have to wrap. I'm just trying to figure out some plans to work around.

Two hours or so, if you start at 275F, I cook at that temperature most of the time.

As an aside, the brisket will darken in the paper as well. So don't sweat the timing too much. The front 3/4 of the cook is pretty straightforward and set-it-and-forget-it. Maintain decent temperatures between 275F and 300F once it's in the paper, not much else to worry about for a few hours.

I cook a little hotter for the most part ( 300) I wrap at 4 hrs on brisket
just out of the paper ready for the blade.
DSCF0044Modified-1.jpg

Once you wrap in paper about how long until probing tender?

landarc...I don't know if you typed anything or not. Your avatar has me distracted. You can post on my threads anytime....... :biggrin1:

GrillsGoneWild; landarc...I don't know if you typed anything or not. Your avatar has me distracted. You can post on my threads anytime....... :biggrin1:[/QUOTE said:
Farking A!!!! Spectacular.

I used to smoke at the "traditional" 225 until I tried cooking at the 250-300 range and I've never looked back.

landarc...I don't know if you typed anything or not. Your avatar has me distracted. You can post on my threads anytime....... :biggrin1:
I start to check it after 1.5 hrs or 5.5 hrs after the start of the cook. I never had one go past 6.5 hrs. total. I normally cook 12-15 lb trimmed weight packers

I usually wrap at 4h to, a:shock:nd when the brisket plumps up :shock:firm it won't be much longer:shock:. At that temp I would think :shock:..... staring at landarc' avatar what are we talking about again, O happy days! :becky:

I cook a little hotter for the most part ( 300) I wrap at 4 hrs on brisket
just out of the paper ready for the blade.
DSCF0044Modified-1.jpg

You gonna show us that jelly on that black beauty there?:sad:

I'm going to start cooking at 275 also, but what is this paper thing

Back