Tri Tip

majake

Found some matches.
Reaction score
I have always cooked my tri tips by searing them directly over the coals and then moving them to the cool side of the grill to finish. Does anyone here smoke them like a brisket? What's the difference in the finished product?

MY BAD- I meant to put this in the Q-Talk discussion. is there a way to delete or move it?

Last edited:
I um, well...yes...I have smoked a tri-tip like a brisket, you're new around here aren't you? Welcome.

Back on topic, I do smoke my tri-tip, although I smoke them to 130F to 135F internal and then will sometimes sear them. This is not 'like a brisket' per se. I do smoke them at 225F cooker temperature.

Now, that being said, I have cooked a tri-tip like a brisket, exactly, including cooking it until it was 195F internal, and it turned out surprisingly edible, although, IMO, a total waste of a really delicious cut of meat.

And there is the link (LINK) for tri-tip smoked like a brisket.

Right on Landarc....medium is the only way!!! I use my weber ketle grill...charcoal / wood chips...off to side..no heat to start then sear..then back to side...then the whole darn thing in my belly!!!

Yes, I am new around here.
Like BigBelly I use my Weber Kettle but I sear first then move to the cool side. I take it off at around 130 and let it rest under foil while I grill up some veggies ,corn on the cob and some garlic bread.

Back