• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

i took the class.

thanks, man.

i hope to be one of the good ones. :becky:

with all i've learned here, i darn well better be.

I took the Table Captain class because i dont want to eat any BBQ.... :thumb:

Also assisted with a CBJ class on Saturday with a freah new 60 CBJ's.

Took the TC class 3 or 4 years ago, judges the year before, and assisted at the same class. I think this may have been the most cooks I've seen in a judges class.

Gonna make a pot of Brunswick stew with the leftovers we brought home:grin:

and now i'm a kcbs CBJ. :-D

that is all. :thumb:

So as someone who just took the class did you find it informative ? Do you think it taught you how to properly judge barbecue and how to tell good food from bad food ? Did you have a favorite part of the class ? What thoughts were running through your mind as the instructor was teaching ?

i'm struggling to answer this question steve.

i knew 95% if not more of the info taught simply by competing and being an active member here, so it's hard for me to judge the class.

before i elaborate,
let me ask you, what is the expected level of quality of samples, generally, at a CBJ class?

i'm struggling to answer this question steve.

i knew 95% if not more of the info taught simply by competing and being an active member here, so it's hard for me to judge the class.

before i elaborate,
let me ask you, what is the expected level of quality of samples, generally, at a CBJ class?

Having helped Mike Lake with a class here in Iowa the BBQ is purposeley cooked poorly to give students something to judge and converse about.
Also, boxes are set up to learn good, bad and illegal.
I think it works well.
Ed

Having helped Mike Lake with a class here in Iowa the BBQ is purposeley cooked poorly to give students something to judge and converse about.
Also, boxes are set up to learn good, bad and illegal.
I think it works well.
Ed

Ok, that's what I was thinking was the case.

I disagree with that approach.

Congrats on taking the class - now your real education begins :rolleyes:.

I'd say for you to try and judge at least half a dozen contests in the next year if you can. You're going to learn so much more by talking to the other judges in between categories than any class can try to teach you. On thing that I found to work very well was to let the Table Captain know that you're a new judge and to let you know if your scores were way out of line with the others' scores.

Above all - be honest and have fun!

Congrats on taking the class - now your real education begins :rolleyes:.

I'd say for you to try and judge at least half a dozen contests in the next year if you can. You're going to learn so much more by talking to the other judges in between categories than any class can try to teach you. On thing that I found to work very well was to let the Table Captain know that you're a new judge and to let you know if your scores were way out of line with the others' scores.

Above all - be honest and have fun!

thanks.

steve, i think this post ^^^^sums up the answers to all your questions.

i couldn't agree more.

And what would be your approach???

Remember, you have a VERY LIMITED amount of time and you only get one shot (the way KCBS CBJ is currently set up).

don't know about a better approach, but why have a room of people discuss poorly cooked BBQ, when they could as easily be discussing good BBQ?

don't know about a better approach, but why have a room of people discuss poorly cooked BBQ, when they could as easily be discussing good BBQ?

The class I went through, taught by Mark Simmons, had poor, fair-to-middlin', and excellent Q for the class. The presentations went from hunks of meat slapped in an empty box, to beautiful parsley beds with mouth-watering meat on top.

That, coupled with the excellent class taught by Mark made the class well worth it.

:thumb:congrats on becoming a certified judge. Book early if you plan on doing a lot of judging. They fill up months in advance, alot faster than the actual contest fills up with cooks.

Back