• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Percentage of fat in a brisket?

bbqgeekess

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
.. and is this by weight or volume?

Trying to justify buying a packer with tons of fat on it.

I trim about 2 pounds off of a 12 to 15 pound packer. That would be 15 to 20 percent. I trim pretty thoroughly. However, I render the fat and use it for other things, so no waste here.

The reason to buy a packer is that it just plain cooks up better.

.. and is this by weight or volume?

Trying to justify buying a packer with tons of fat on it.

Paying Price of a packer sucks sometimes so I will do Chuck roast Brisket Style. Taste Darn Near exactly the same but you can buy a 3-4-5 lb roast with no fat cap but Great marbling. Around here they run $4.99/lb but I watch for specials at $2.49-$2.99 lb.

Landarc buys them HIGH End HIGH $ Briskets........... :shock:

Paying Price of a packer sucks sometimes so I will do Chuck roast Brisket Style. Taste Darn Near exactly the same but you can buy a 3-4-5 lb roast with no fat cap but Graet marbling. Around here they run $4.99/lb but I watch for specials at $2.49-$2.99 lb.

Landarc buys them HIGH End HIGH $ Briskets........... :shock:
No, Landarc buys chuck roast and gets other people to buy fancy briskets for him

I am just gonna say, those were wonderful and worth every penny that someone paid me to cook them for him.

By the way, those had less than 10% by weight of trimming needed.

I wait for Smart and Final to give me the $1.99/lb price on brisket then I go for the 18lb'er. Patience. However, I have been so close to buying a Snake River Farms Wagyu brisket...... just afraid I'll screw it up.

So brisket is only like 20% fat, that's not bad at all really. plus fat weighs less than meat so.. hrm.. I think I'll buy two packers soon from Sam's. I think they are $2.38 a pound there.

I wanna bbq a full uncut packer in my Mini WSM (just to say I did it). It'll be my first packer and in the Mini WSM :)

And I'll use the other for a boat load of STRAMI :)

At the local HEB (grocery store in Texas), I recently bought a full packer for $1.79 a pound (on sale). Now, it is not prime or CAB, but it tasted good. I think they are normally $1.99, maybe a little more here. That is before the prices go up (recent news stories).

I wait for Smart and Final to give me the $1.99/lb price on brisket then I go for the 18lb'er. Patience. However, I have been so close to buying a Snake River Farms Wagyu brisket...... just afraid I'll screw it up.

That's such a good price on brisket! Wish I could find a deal like that!

Back