• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Official Tamale Hot Line Thread...

Once we started smoking the meat for the filling..........we never went back to using the oven or boiling. Smoked meat adds a whole nother falvor level.

Good to know Bob, I've been debating with my mom for a long while now about smoking the pork first but she isn't on board with the idea. She's old school when it comes to tamale makin! You shoulda seen her face when I first busted out the stand mixer instead of using my hands. BLASPHEMY!!

I'm TIRED!!! Made about 110 tamales today. Half I made by myself. These were gifts for my neigbors this year. I delivered 1/2 dozen bags to neighbors in the cul de sac.
No Pics...... You know the rulez!

Man I miss the old neighborhood. All the neighbors in the hood would bring them over. Family doesn't eat them so it would be a waste for me to make some. All the neighbors in the hood would bring them over.

Here's a few from my Tamaleada yesterday.
tamales09036.jpg

tamales09042.jpg

How about pork fatback? In place of, or in conjunction with the lard?

How about pork fatback? In place of, or in conjunction with the lard?

Never tried it. If you can get the fat (after it's rendered) to mix with the masa for a nice even texture it might work. Lard is pork fat just cleaned and processed so it doesn't go rancid. Give it shot and let us know if it works.

Bob, good work!

Never tried it. If you can get the fat (after it's rendered) to mix with the masa for a nice even texture it might work. Lard is pork fat just cleaned and processed so it doesn't go rancid. Give it shot and let us know if it works.

Bob, good work!
Thinking that I might partially freeze it, then either grind it (not likely) or run it through a grater... Possibly this weekend... but with the holidays, who knows...

The green sauce is a store bought one. It's has no heat, but very much on the vinegary side. Mostly made from tomatillos. My wife is going to use it in her Chile con Queso. Adds for some nice ZING.

Here's breakfast. Like I said, heating them up in butter till the outside gets brown and crispy is the Cat's Arse!! Couple eggs, and some red and green sauce. The red sauce is from one of my wife's co-workers. Medium heat but has a strong oregano profile. Goes great with tamales. I was going for Christmasy Colors!:lol:

Merry Christmas!
tamales09043.jpg

I've had all the calories I'll need for the WHOLE day! This the best breakfast for New Year's Day after a long night of celebrating! It will cure what ails you!

OK, now I'm hungry for tamales for my Christmas breakfast! :biggrin:

was gonna do this for new years but can't wait any longer!

since the wife is sick and we are now not going to her relatives for x-mas (YAH!) i will pulled a butt out of the freezer to thaw and will have tamales by dinner time!!!

i know, no pics or it didn't happen....

cheers and merry x-mas, scott

OK, great stuff....what about the sauces..an I just go with a canned enchilada sauce or is there a simple sauce I can go with? Thanks. Scott

Canned sauces will work just fine. You can always doctor em up for more heat, flavor, etc.

Tamales can be filled with anything....bbq sauced meat, green chile strips and cheese, even a simple picadillo(ground meat with garlic, onions, cilantron, tomato and jalapenos.)

Can't wait to see the Tamale Pron!

Last edited:
It's that time again!!! I should be getting some going in the next week or so! This year I bought an extra 40 lbs of Hatch chile for the tamales and the fresh sausage I'll be making!

Bob

I guess I'm going back to Target for a new tamale pot since the last one was used for a smokin joe mini smoker. All Those tamale's look great!!!!:clap2::clap2:

Hey Bob! Tis the season... for TAMALES! We're getting things ready over here once again. I will post some pics if I get a chance to take any. Good to see this thread brought back to life.

Back