Troop Feed Cook-Part 2

landarc

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I (we) are up to it again. The BBQ Brethren have been asked to take a leading role in preparing and serving a BBQ meal for 7,700 National Guard and Army personnel at Camp Roberts in CA. My menu looks like this.

Pulled Pork (.2# per person)
Brisket (.2# per person)
Tri-tip (.2# per person)
Chicken (.15# per person)

Caesar Salad (3oz per person)
Veggies (4oz per person)
Slaw (4oz per person)
Beans (4oz per person)

With those numbers, I am at close to a pound of finished product (meat only) per person, I suppose I can trim that back. Although I am assuming not everyone will want every meat. I might drop brisket, as two beef doesn't make sense.

What say you pro's? Does this seem like the correct amounts?

WOW that gonna be a lot of cooking. I'll take a stab at it but the numbers may run a little different as pork is king here. Also your probably not going to have a complaint if you ran out of one meat or side like a caterer would. I think your numbers look good except I would probably drop a beef like you suggested. I have never fed the military but something tells me they can eat so maybe 3oz each of pork and beef and with 4 sides you could maybe drop the slaw back to 3oz. For chicken I cook legs and thighs and do like 2/3 drumsticks and 1/3 thighs. For two meats I find that 1pc for 85% of the head count more than enough and as a 3rd meat I figure 1pc for 65-70% of the headcount which overall probably meets the .15# that you are figuring. I'd probably move that a little higher just to be safe as a caterer and not wanting to run out but for you I think your fine. Post some pic's of the prep and stuff that would be awesome to see, that's massive amounts there 7700 people all I can say is WOW

Thanks for the input. They make sense.

I am currently pretty sure I didn't think this through when I said yes.

That's like 128 full steam pans of beans :shock: 180 gallons of slaw :doh: 360 pork butts :icon_shy I better stop there

Yes, in a major BBQ chain, that would be one heck of a great week.

The amounts look close IMO. I am not sure about having 2 different beef dishes though. If the thought is "Let's show these folks what BBQ is all about"----then yeah maybe two different beef cuts. I guess that it depends on BBQ pit space that we are going to have.

Are we making the beans? I have enough equip to make beans for about 2000 people if we make it on site.

Top Sirloin (Top Block) Santa Maria Style may also be an option over Tri-Tip. The cost of Tri-Tip has been climbing and Top Sirloin is an option. Top Block is the original Santa Maria Style and IMO is a better product than Tri-Tip.

Landarc --I once had your phone number--but it is gone. I can be reached at 5309903539 or cowboycuisine@aol-----I would love to help you plot.

I can bring both a Santa Maria Pit and my Bushrod Smoker ---Yelonutz mentioned bringing his Gator. I know folks in that area that I can get Santa Maria Grills from--not a high number of smokers near Central Coast--that area is pretty firm on Santa Maria Style.

Leonard, I will send you my phone number, I would like to work online or by email, as then everything is already written down. I say we go Top Block, I love that cut, and have not cooked it in 30 years. So that probably makes it a bad choice, but, still, I think unless someone is willing to part with a load of tri-tip, Top Block is a great choice. We need Santa Maria grills, that is for sure. And smokers, unless I find someone with a couple of huge trailer units (Sadly, the one person I knew that had one sold it).

This is on Father's Day, right? Regardless of when it is, I'm hoping to make it up there to help. I don't have a big pit I can move around, but I can bring my hands and what's left of my brain. I will make sure about the family's schedule and let you know asap.

If you're considering any kind of off-sight cooking to be reheated on site maybe I can make a tiny tend that way i.e. cook/cool/bring/heat/serve.

This reminds me, I need to PM Phil with more questions. Like a GoFundMe site and reaching out to sponsors.

Thanks for the offer Big G, you are certainly welcome, I could use a lot of hands. It's a BBQ Brethren Event, I am just the coordinator. I mean, who hasn't wanted to cook 2 tons of meat?

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
Landarc

Enlighten me-----do you need donations for groceries, or is someone gonna help sponsor this event? If donations are needed let's get on it. I sometimes can be help. I understand if you are waiting for word from Camp Roberts.

bbq servings in an amount over 7,000 plates has been mentioned. Is that a realistic number? What is serving schedule if known------7.000 all at once, right now ----or staggered groups of 2,000 or what?

I am ready to counterattack-----prepare me for what?

Back