Great Days Start with Open Refirs

Outnumbered

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
So I had about $150 worth of meat in my spare refrigerator that included an actual prime Prime Rib, a whole pork loin and 20#s of butts.

The oldest went to feed the dog this morning and saw the refrigerator door was open. By my best guess the fridge was open about 8-12 inches for nearly 24 hours. (It sits in our storage room and not a lot of traffic.)

The pork loin is gone for sure. I opened the cry-o-vac and gone. The butts smell fine, but am wondering if they might still be good. They weren't room temp, but they weren't ice cold either. Same thing on the prime rib. Honestly, I'm a little more confident in the beef than I am the pork. But that may be driven by the $13/# vs. $1.30# difference.

I would probably eat them if it was just for me. But these are for close and extended family Christmas dinners this weekend. I really don't want mass food poisoning issues on my hands.

What say ye, Brethren?

I wouldnt throw away the Prime Rib Thats fo sho!

Throw it in the freezer. Cook it durring the game. Then again you got the Chiefs, the Royals, Cook it for the Superbowl.

I understand exactly what you are saying about eating it yourself and not serving it to others. I think it is your obligation to cook and eat the entire prime rib yourself. :becky:

Seriously, your wife's nose is the best detector of when food goes bad -- or any other female member of the household.

Froze it right away, so I wasn't able to probe it, Bandit. I think we are OK, at least we are so far. Nobody is sick yet, and even if we all get sick, I do believe it will be worth it. Man, that was some good prime rib.

I cooked it on my brother's new UDS I made for his Christmas present. He's ready to start smoking now. If we all die, well, at least we had a great last meal.

Toss the hog....as for the prime, like said above the nose knows. The same happened in my commercial kitchen a year back but with 80lbs of beef brisket. In the end we brined the meat and went the corned beef route. If nothing else, dice it up and cook the bejezees out of it in a chili. Between the long cook and the hot spice you'll kill anything lookin to kill you and yours.

When in doubt, throw it out. Always better to toss something than to take a chance on making someone sick or worse.

So what was the verdict - everyone still around to tell the tale??

Back