Brisket Ballpark?

mrPalomar

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm cooking the first brisket on my Primo tomorrow and am not quite how long it will take. I was unable to find a packer, so I just have a 6lb flat and plan on cooking at about 250. I know that times are impossible to predict, but am just looking for a ballpark range I can use to decide when to put it in the smoker. I read one post that mentioned 1hr15min per pound, which would put this brisket at 7.5 hours, does that sound reasonable?

Thanks!
Ed

1hr to an hour and a half per pound
I would probe it at about 6 hrs to see how tender and then judge wether you probe every hour or so there after.

A hour or per pound is a good starting point. For your first try get a thermometer take til 200 or feels like butter when probed.

I smoked a 6 lb flat in the drum last weekend

injected and rubbed

brisket003.jpg

Kept it between 225 and 250, foiled at 165, finished right at 8 hours

brisket005.jpg

brisket006.jpg

brisket007.jpg

Excellent, thanks for the info guys! Looks like i'll be getting up a bit early tomorrow!

I smoked one recently. I went with 75 minutes per pound (temp between 225 and 250.) It was dee-lish.

Put it on at 8:30 this morning and didn't get a thermometer in it until 2:30. Glad I did because the temp was 215 and the probe went in very easily. I pulled it and put it in foil with some apple juice and put it in a cooler. Hopefully it will be OK in there until 4:30 or 5 when the ribs finish... I'll try to post a pic or two later.

you will be fine coolering it for that period of time enjoy and looking forward to the pics

interested to see how it turned out. i pulled mine last week at about 185-190 and it was dry :( i wanna see how this thing looks at 215. now quite sure how mine was dry and these other guys have juicy looking ones at 200!

Sorry I didn't get around to posting any pics. The brisket was tender and flavorful but much too dry for my taste. I'm chalking it up to a few things: 1) the brisket was USDA select, and didn't have that much in the way of marbling, 2) I think I probably missed the sweet spot with the temp by a few degrees. I'm guessing if I'd checked it a half hour or so earlier it would have been perfect. 3) I probably could have used a bit more liquid when i foiled it and put it in the cooler. Anyway, the ribs were awesome and it's only my second try at brisket, first on the new Primo XL, so I've got plenty of time to figure it out...

Sorry I didn't get around to posting any pics. The brisket was tender and flavorful but much too dry for my taste. I'm chalking it up to a few things: 1) the brisket was USDA select, and didn't have that much in the way of marbling, 2) I think I probably missed the sweet spot with the temp by a few degrees. I'm guessing if I'd checked it a half hour or so earlier it would have been perfect. 3) I probably could have used a bit more liquid when i foiled it and put it in the cooler. Anyway, the ribs were awesome and it's only my second try at brisket, first on the new Primo XL, so I've got plenty of time to figure it out...

Brisket's tough until you get it dialed in. We've probably all produced brisket like you've described at on time or another.. try injecting next time.

Wait, you didn't foil until you rested? try foiling with a little beef broth at around 160

interested to see how it turned out. i pulled mine last week at about 185-190 and it was dry :( i wanna see how this thing looks at 215. now quite sure how mine was dry and these other guys have juicy looking ones at 200!

How accurate is your thermometer? It could be off, or it just might have been the meat itself. I take them to 200* before resting and they're juicy.

Lots of folks add either apple juice or beef broth to the brisket when foiling.

I did add apple juice, but I don't think it was enough, and I do think i slightly overcooked it. I'm going to see if I can find a packer next time.

Back