Top Vent Control

kbergner

Reaction score
When slow cooking should the top vent be all the way open assuming you can control the temp? i.e. you dont want the exhaust to "linger" as it might effect the meat. I have a fairly clean burning fire I am using a Vision Kamado and use lump but would this would apply to all

Yes as said above. Always keep your top vent wide open. Adjust your heat at the source down below.

On WSM, UDS, etc. you are correct. However, on a Kamado, the top vent is used to control temps as well. With your Vision Kamado, you will have a tough (and may never) get down to smoking temps leaving the top vent wide open.

For example, I am cooking a butt on my Chargriller Kamado today at 275*F. I have both the bottom and top vents cracked about 1/16" and am purring along nicely.

On WSM, UDS, etc. you are correct. However, on a Kamado, the top vent is used to control temps as well. With your Vision Kamado, you will have a tough (and may never) get down to smoking temps leaving the top vent wide open.

For example, I am cooking a butt on my Chargriller Kamado today at 275*F. I have both the bottom and top vents cracked about 1/16" and am purring along nicely.

Thank you for your feedback

That is my normal setup w.r.t top/bottom vent opening and works. well. I was just wondering if that might not be optimal

Don't be afraid to close down the top vent to half for short times if you must, if after having the bottom closed up just wont bring it down. I try to avoid this but if doing bacon and I have a drop dead max temp I don't want to go over I will. Wont take long to come back

I must be doing things all wrong then.

I have me bottom vent open nearly twice as much as my top. I'm getting excellent temp,control and great tasting food.

it more so depends how hard core you are, cooking in storms high wind etc, i have had to shut the top down many times

I must be doing things all wrong then.

I have me bottom vent open nearly twice as much as my top. I'm getting excellent temp,control and great tasting food.

I think it depends on the target temp and wind. Today, it is very windy, and I have both vents almost shut.

If you use a temp. controller (Guru, Stoker, Auber, etc.) you will want to close the top vent to a small crack in order to prevent draft when the fan is not running.

Back