• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Fec 100 vs yoder 1500 comp cart

joeraz007

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I am looking at these two cookers for 2018 comp season. Wondering what you guys think would make the better comp cooker and why. thank you in advance for any info you can provide

Either will work fine. As far as what I think, You should have been practicing in the off season with whatever smoker you was gonna use for comps.

I have several cook shack cookers including a FC-100 and know people that have had Yoder and I would stick with the cook shack

Are you dead set on pellet cookers? If not, we have really enjoyed cooking on drums. We had a pellet for comps and had some headaches with power and the auger etc. The cooker we used wasn't as good as a yoder or cookshack though

I've cooked on both, but primarily on Cookshack. The Yoder I used (not sure of the model) had large deflection plates that sat directly under the cooking grates. Juices would drip onto it and sizzle, similar to how juices sizzle in a reverse flow pit like Lang. I'm not sure if all of their models are built that way, but it wasn't what I was looking for. I preferred the vertical cabinet style of the FEC.

Can we get some pictures of all the smokers you own? Your collection must be insane!

As far as these two smokers, I think they both cook great. The answer might be which one fits on your trailer. The yoder is a heavy duty beast, and it handles being moved around better imo.

Can we get some pictures of all the smokers you own? Your collection must be insane!

As far as these two smokers, I think they both cook great. The answer might be which one fits on your trailer. The yoder is a heavy duty beast, and it handles being moved around better imo.
Thanks for the info I was thinking the same thing. I have a toy hauler and I think the yoder would be easier to move seeing how it has tie downs plus it is super heavy duty. I also just saw that yoder has a cimmaron that is pellet fired as well that may be interesting as well.

I use a Yoder Cimarron trailer pellet smoker in competitions. I took out ALL deflector plates and cook hot n fast. It works well this way. Won a GC last year after an 8 year and one week drought (but who's counting!).

Cooked for a long, long time on FEC100s too. For me, I really like a pull behind pit instead of hauling a trailer. I may break out the Jambo for a couple of cooks too. It uses those natural wood things.

I use a Yoder Cimarron trailer pellet smoker in competitions. I took out ALL deflector plates and cook hot n fast. It works well this way. Won a GC last year after an 8 year and one week drought (but who's counting!).

Cooked for a long, long time on FEC100s too. For me, I really like a pull behind pit instead of hauling a trailer. I may break out the Jambo for a couple of cooks too. It uses those natural wood things.
I like the look of the cimmaron. How does it cooked compared to your jambo?

Fec

Most of the people I know with FECs still use them in comps. Most of the people I know with Yoders sold them.

Maybe that's just up here in the northeast, but you hardly see Yoders anymore, after a brief burst of popularity. Now it's all Humphrey's, Backwoods, FECs, Jambos, a few Myron Mixon's, and of course drums.

An FEC is a lot lighter than a Yoder for moving. Put some e-track on the wall of your toy hauler, and one cargo strap will hold it in place. Swapping out the factory casters for foam filled tires will make it even easier.

While I love cooking on the Yoder it is a bear to move.

Impossible in gravel or soft ground.

I expect I will keep the Yoder for quick and easy.

Drums and lighter Humphries for transport. That being said,There are a lot of heavy Deep South gravity feeds being rolled out onto trailer ramp

i would go with the fec 100 simply due to your ability to access the fire pot. you can hang a couple of wood chunks over the edge and get them smoking for added flavor.

I don't remember that being part of my question. But thanks anyways

Just wondering if changing often (if that is the case) could affect consistency in knowing what might be a best fit smoker. Seems you are looking to get the best results possibly out of many cookers and I was just curious if this could be a factor. Not inferring anything. Just curious and actually looking to help.

I get it didn't relate totally to your question. Either cooker will do fine. But if you don't cook them much before switching again then it won't help either way. Take that for what it is worth, which i'm guessing isn't much for you. But it is honest advice.

Edit: When I was starting out I was chasing a bunch of things I thought were important until a few amazing folks pointed out I was in a "Forest from the trees" scenario to actually make my comp bbq better.

Just wondering if changing often (if that is the case) could affect consistency in knowing what might be a best fit smoker. Seems you are looking to get the best results possibly out of many cookers and I was just curious if this could be a factor. Not inferring anything. Just curious and actually looking to help.

I get it didn't relate totally to your question. Either cooker will do fine. But if you don't cook them much before switching again then it won't help either way. Take that for what it is worth, which i'm guessing isn't much for you. But it is honest advice.

Edit: When I was starting out I was chasing a bunch of things I thought were important until a few amazing folks pointed out I was in a "Forest from the trees" scenario to actually make my comp bbq better.
Your help is greatly appreciated don't get me wrong. I agree I need to stick with a cooker for more than one season. But I am trying to find the one that I get along with the best. Most people try many before finding one they like. I believe this includes you as well.

Your help is greatly appreciated don't get me wrong. I agree I need to stick with a cooker for more than one season. But I am trying to find the one that I get along with the best. Most people try many before finding one they like. I believe this includes you as well.

I hear you. We've only really switched twice. Went from gravity & WSM (for 2yrs) to backwoods (4.5yrs) and then last year I got drums just to play with since we don't compete but 3-4 times a year now. So over 7yrs we changed twice.

I don't know what the correct or "perfect" amount of contests that give the definitive sample size of yes or no on a cooker. But even "one season" might not be enough if a season only includes like 4-6 comps before switching. That's why I asked the number of contests question. It's a valid question. Too many variables other than the smoker that could have better placed efforts/practice vs changing cookers.

Because then all those flavors, textures, time lines, smoke quantity, wood type, heat flow, etc all get "semi-reset" each time you change a cooker. So if you have a smoker for 5 events you might be learning it, but change and then all those variables change as well. Might not be complete 180's on those variables, but the reason things are and are not working are just more than switching cookers.

Anyways....I'm all blah blah blah.....good luck.

Nothing says you cant do a test cook every weekend to KCBS timeline .
You might even invite some local judges to critique.

Can hone any skill or cooker that way

Was at a contest in Calgary ast year and at least 30 percent of cookers were Yoder Pellet.
Do not see many in Mid Atlantic. As to the FEC.. No one seems to have a bad word to say about them but seems like most are mounted on porch trailer rather than rolling out.
Not that there are not some.

Back