Cowboys vs. Stubbs Charcoal

energyzer

is one Smokin' Farker
Made by the same company. I've seen cowboys tore from limb to limb on here and Stubbs lifted up. Same company, why such a difference? I've never used either.

Second question, which do you prefere, RO or Stubbs?

I see that Cowboy distributes Stubbs but I'm not so sure they are made by the same company.

Cowboy is lump and Stubbs is briquette, so are we comparing apples and oranges? I almost bought some Cowboy once but after reading the reviews I went with RO lump instead. I did use Stubbs for the first time this past Sunday and I must say I was very pleased with the small amount of ash as compared to Kingsford. I have never used RO briquette.

Agreed, just because they are distributed by the same company doesn't mean they are made by the same company. An alchohol distributer (take Lohr Distributing for example) distributes a number of products (in their case AB beverages, Becks, Bacardi beverages) but clearly they are not made by the same groups. Also agree on the apples to apples comparison.

But my main reason for liking Stubbs over Cowboy is I get good clean briquettes in Stubbs bags, and I have gotten rocks, unburned wood and a charred Pepsi can in Comboy bags. Sooo...

I e-mailed them about where to find their product, and here is part of what they said: "Cowboy Charcoal is the producer of the charcoal and licenses the Stubb's name."

Apples and oranges indeed! I do like them both and sometimes mix them. After using Stubbs i can say anything but K!
Remember, GM made the Vega and the Corvette

I've used Cowboy lump and the food tastes like lighter fluid was used to light the charcoal.

I like using RO and GFS brand lump.

Cowboy is horrible. Half of it is unburned cabinet scraps. Sparks like the 4th of July. I was at a contest that gave away giant bags of it. I left it behind.

I have been very happy with Stubbs. I use Kford comp also but prefer Stubbs. I would rank it almost up there with Wicked Charcoal which is about impossible to find.

I have used cowboy before Would use gas first or even boil water. Cowboy is scrap wood. Did not like it at all

Apples and oranges indeed! I do like them both and sometimes mix them. After using Stubbs i can say anything but K!
Remember, GM made the Vega and the Corvette

I had a 1974 Vega and still have a 1980 Corvette and comparing Cowboys to Stubbs is about the same comparison.

I used CB for a time but noticed the quality went down along the way. I now avoid at all cost. Last time I used it the odor from the burn was nasty and it ruined my food. When I first started to use it the product seemed to be primarily wood tongue-in-groove floor scraps, hardwood oak probably or smoething similar. Our local Lowes is carrying stubbs brics now so I grabbed a few bags to try on my wsm and uds. I've heard good things about stubbs so we'll see.

I gave Cowboy a try for several cooks and it was simply awful. I didn't like the excessive popping and the burn time seemed awful low for a lump charcoal. It seemed I was adding fuel at much shorter intervals than normal. So now I stay away from it like the plague.

i have never used Cowboy but have heard only negative things about it such as pieces off plywood and other stuff. I have only used Wicked Good Charcoal Weekend warrior Blend lump and its great. nice mix of small stuff to ignite in chimney starter and some good size log pieces. I mix in a few hickory chunks and the smokey flavor in my BBQ is to die for.

Sure, it's strange that a company would market one really good product, and one that's not worth the bag it comes in....but I don't quite get the point of this thread.
One is a pretty dadgum good briquette, both for bbq or grilling, and the other is probably one of the worst lumps marketed. IMHO, the Cowboy lump is so bad, I don't know how anyone could be satisfied with it, but if you are, you sure are making it hard on yourself, whether bbq or grilling.

Stubbs! Never tried Cowboys but haven't read a single positive review of it yet.

Don't waste your money on it either. If you don't trust what you have read about it then trust what you haven't read, and that's a positive review. I tried it for several cooks and it was horrible.

Sure, it's strange that a company would market one really good product, and one that's not worth the bag it comes in....but I don't quite get the point of this thread.
One is a pretty dadgum good briquette, both for bbq or grilling, and the other is probably one of the worst lumps marketed. IMHO, the Cowboy lump is so bad, I don't know how anyone could be satisfied with it, but if you are, you sure are making it hard on yourself, whether bbq or grilling.

That is exactly the point of this tread. How can one company make a product that is SO bad the people would rather burn the paper than the lump, and yet another that most seem to love? :confused:

Back