View Single Post
Old 08-03-2013, 10:09 AM   #1
IronBoarSmokers
Found some matches.

Talking Smoked Lamb Roast for People's Choice Competition

This past weekend, I smoked a whole lamb roast for Fans of Lamb's Grills Gone Wild American Lamb competition. I've been smoking pork, brisket, fish, and chicken for years, but this was my first lamb. It was hands down the most amazing tasting cook I've ever done. Too good not to share. The recipe is below.

Smoked Lamb Recipe:

This recipe will prepare a wonderfully aromatic, delectable, and tender main dish that is suitable for both casual and formal meals. The flavor of the lamb is not only preserved but highlighted with light earthen hints of fruit wood smoke and pepper corn. It will be finger pull-able, similar to the consistency of a well-cooked lamb shank, but with much more flavor and aroma. The meat will be incredibly moist relative to any other way you’ve ever had lamb.

Reviews:

“This outdoes any lamb I’ve ever done. You have surpassed me. I want one of these every month.”

– Lynn Duggan (Mother who is from form New Zealand and is an expert at cooking lamb)

“Oh my god, I’m never having lamb any other way again.”
– Kay Elting (Aunt)

“I didn’t think lamb could be this moist”
- Mike Hulligan (My Cousin’s Husband from England and lifetime eater of lamb)

“Nom nom nom hrrmph hermph munch munch hrrmph nom nom, more.”
- Ian Duggan (Brother – No translation available)

Servings:
• 6 to 10 people (to scale, assume 1.5lbs of pre-cook weight per person)

Cook Time:
• 15 minutes the night before to trim and season the meat
• 15 minutes the morning of the cook to setup the smoker
• 5-6 hrs of semi-attended cooking smoker (glance at temps everything 30 min)
• 10 minutes of rest time before serving

Items Needed:
• 8-12lb Whole Lamb or Mutton Shoulder Roast
• 1/2 cup black pepper
• 2 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar
• 2 tablespoons kosher salt
• 2 cloves garlic, crushed
• 1/2 teaspoon allspice
• 1/4 cup of Worcestershire Sauce
• 2.5 gallon Zip Lock Bag
• Tin Foil
• BBQ Smoker or a Conventional Grill with a Smoke Pan
• Smoking Wood
• Digital Thermometer

The Night Before the Cook

1) Prepare rub:

Mix the following into a dry bowl and set aside:

• 1/2 cup black pepper
• 2 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar
• 2 tablespoons kosher salt
• 2 cloves garlic, crushed
• 1/2 teaspoon allspice

2) Trim meat:

• Get a 8lb - 10 lb boneless whole shoulder lamb roast.
• Cut off butchers string and unfold to expose interior.
• Trim away as much visible fat as you can from the interior, but leave the fat cap on. I was able to trim away 1-2 lbs of fat from a 10 lb roast.
• Wash whole roast under water and pat dry with a paper towel.

3) Season meat:

• Douse the entire lamb roast with Worcestershire sauce. It takes about ¼ of a cup. The point of the sauce isn’t to season the meat, its to help the rub adhere to it.
• Spread prepared rub liberally all over all surfaces of the meats interior and exterior.
• Roll shoulder roast back up, and place inside a 1 or 2.5 gallon zip lock bag and place it in the refrigerator overnight.

The Morning of the Cook

4) Prepare BBQ smoker (can be charcoal, propane, pellet or other)

• Prepare smokers fuel source (can be charcoal, propane, pellet or other)
• Clean grates and fill water pan if your smoker has one.
• Fill wood pan or fire box with seasoning wood. Put 4 hand-fulls of chips to get a quick smoke at startup smoke, and 3 or 4 large chunks for long-running smoke. Hickory can overpower the taste of the lamb, so I use fruit woods. In this cook, I used Cherry.
• Prepare your temperature probes. When you smoke meat, you cook to temperature not time. You will need to keep track of both the smoker’s temperature and the meat’s temperature. To do so, invest in a dual probe digital thermometer like this one http://www.maverickhousewares.com/et732.htm . Don’t trust the analog dial thermometer that came on top of your grill. They can be up to 30 degrees off. Being off by that much will destroy your meat!

5) Start Cook

• Remove the lamb from the zip lock bag and place on the grate.
• Set the grill probe right next to the meat. Insert the meat probe into the roast so that the tip is in the very center of the roast from all directions.
• Close the smoker and start the fire. Run the grill up to and keep it between 230 to 250 degrees. Within 10 minutes you should have a thin blue smoke coming out of the smoker.

6) Smoke up to 140, Cook to 201

• The lamb will take smoke until the meat’s internal temperature reaches about 140. If the smoke stops coming out of the smoker below that point add more of your smoke wood.
• When the meats internal temperature reaches 140 degrees remove it from the grill and wrap it tightly in tin foil. This will prevent the lamb from drying out during the rest of the cook.
• Be sure to re-insert the temperature probe and then put it back on the smoker.
• When the lambs internal temperature reaches 201 degrees, remove it from the smoker, wrap it a towel, and let it rest for 10 minutes.

7) Rest, Pull, and Serve

• After the 10 minutes is up, unwrap the foil, and slide the meat onto a serving tray or deep aluminum pan.
• Use two forks to remove any visible exterior fat. The fat cap will often just slide right off. Throw the fat away so that it doesn’t get mixed in with the meat.
• Use the two forks (or a set of bear claws) to pull and shred the roast. If properly cooked, the meat will break up very easily. Be sure to perform a taste test :D
• Let folks serve themselves from the pan. The smell and spectacle of the pile of shredded meat is part of the experience.

Last edited by Ron_L; 08-04-2013 at 08:34 AM..
IronBoarSmokers is offline   Reply With Quote