• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Trader Joes tri tip

Smart & Final tri tips around here are usually select cuts at those low prices.
TJ's tri tips come from New Zealand, including other cuts such as flat iron.

Smart & Final tri tips around here are usually select cuts at those low prices.
TJ's tri tips come from New Zealand, including other cuts such as flat iron.

Mine clearly is marked product of Australia, unless they consider that New Zealand too, I don't know

KangaROO.

We have a TJ's about a mile from us and I've never found anything there that we didn't like. I haven't tried the tri-tip since I get them at Restaurant Depot, however.

Their rack of lamb is very good. It is pre-seasoned with garlic and rosemary.

Also, the Roasted Red Pepper and Tomato Soup is excellent. We buy two boxes every time we stop there.

+1 on the RRP & tomato soup!

Can't comment on the tri tip, but I've always had good at Trader Joe's. I was in San Fransisco on business and there was one right down the street from my hotel. Not only did they have ACTUAL 2 buck chuck (it's $2.99-$3.99 a bottle here) but they had a HUGE selection of Napa Valley wines for between $5 and $8 a bottle. The same wines here would be in the $12-$20 range. They also had a great selection of micro and craft beers for about half what we'd pay here on the right coast.
We have a few in our area here and really like the selection and prices.

One thing I have noticed about Australian beef is the cows are grass fed. This makes the meat richer than corn fed.
Check the package to see if it says anything about grass.
~cheers

Mine clearly is marked product of Australia, unless they consider that New Zealand too, I don't know

Perhaps just the flat irons are marked product of New Zealand. I've purchased plenty of those from TJ's. For tri-tips I go to regular supermarkets which sell them at lower prices.

Perhaps just the flat irons are marked product of New Zealand. I've purchased plenty of those from TJ's. For tri-tips I go to regular supermarkets which sell them at lower prices.

I wasnt really shopping for price. Was not shopping for it all actually.

I just happened to see it when I was in there getting charcoal and thought I would buy one

Cooked it last Sat at my cabin.

Came out really well, I rubbed it with BPS money and smoked it at 225f, I was going to sear it at 120 IT but it cooked faster than I thought and did not pull it until about 140 IT but it still was good, next time I will be more careful

then I put it on the Weber and seared it a bit. I just transferred the burning lump from the Master Forge vertical right into the Weber. I could have just removed the midde section of the vertical and seared it on that, I may do that next time

Last edited:
Back