View Single Post
Old 02-16-2010, 04:54 PM   #17
The BBQ QB
Full Fledged Farker

It is a difficult task to fairly and judiciously rate BBQ books without a bias.

I have 10 of the books on the list and am nowhere near having evaluated any of them fully.

I will say that each has given me some insight into bettering my approach to BBQ, and outdoor cooking as a whole.

It's also very difficult to adhere to a scaled rating system when the voters have not read every book, or, for that matter, tried, and properly cooked most of the recipes.

How can you judge a book a 5 out of 5 if you haven't read (and used) every one? (You can't judge the scale until you know the best and the worst, and you can't do that until you've read them all) Sure you can genericize, but then why bother with the scale?

Why not a recommend/don't recommend vote with a comment(tweet) (144 characters or less) attached to each vote?

That would get the scale out of the way and let voters be specific on why/why not. I can wash through the vote pumpers, simply by seeing if they have something constructive/critical to say to support their position.

That's my $0.00146. (adjusted for inflation, taxation and any other "shun" I've forgotton)

Mike D
The BBQ QB is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->