Some Tamales

We do need to work on your beer selection though! Coors Light? I'm going to forgive you this time because of your spectacular cooking skills, but if I see another fantastic food preparation paired with a flavorless mass produced American light lager, I'm going to schedule an intervention! :biggrin:
Ditto, I will help, I got some real craft brew laying about.

wow, those are some good lookin' tamales! I do miss being out farther west, where I could get decent tamales in restaurants when I'm too lazy to cook myself.

Great job, Jeanie!

Okay, you made that look too easy!! Our tamale spreading parties are all day affairs of smoking meat, (I hate to admit this but some meat gets boiled too!) Then it's pulling meat, soaking husks, whipping up the masa by hand, making all the different fillings, then spreading and steaming. During this process, lots of beer, of all types and nationalities is consumed. In the end we end up with enough tamales to give to neighbors, and freeze for the rest of the year! Man, I'm already tired. Those little wrapped goodies are a labor of love indeed. You can tell you did yours just right cause the tamale peeled away from the husk cleanly.

I will need to look into the Zaaschila chipotle cremosa method you used when we get to making ours. Sounds like a winner. You rocked them tamales, Jeanie!! You know I'd hit a few of those!

See if you like this breakfast recipe for leftover tamales.......
Remove from husk and melt some butter in a pan. Heat and brown the tamale in the butter till heated through and golden brown. Plate it and then go with some red salsa and then an egg or two on top. Good stuff. One time we had some leftover white gravy my dad had made and put them on top of the eggs.........Dang.......I'm hungry!

Jeanie, now here's the deal. You joined this group when I put out the challenge and that was good. Now I think its time to go BIG TIME! We need to get you on the Food Network as a Brethren representative. I'll come down and taste everything you cook and then you do the programs. What ya think? Iam always here to help....lol

Thank you Drbowden! :-D

Bob, your tamale making party sounds great! I need to have one of those.... get friends to help. I did smoke the pork one day and soak the husks overnight, so that helped a lot. They are a lot of work but so worth it. :biggrin:
I love the sound of your breakfast and will give it a try. Thank you Bob!!

Babyboomer, you are pretty persuasive... lol .... but I don't think I would feel comfortable on the Food Network. I'd rather have an outdoor show... they could pay me to camp/fish/hunt and cook. Now that would be fun. :wink:
Thank you!!!

Back