• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Pastrami from a corned beef. What I learned w/ Q-view

pne123

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I learned that it is good!. I bought a corned beef on sale. Soaked it over nite in water to get some of the brine out of the meat so it would not be as salty. I scored the fat cap in a criss cross patter. Along the grain deeper so I could tell which way the grain is running.

Rubbed it w/

4 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper (more if you like it peppery)
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon granulated garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon paprika

I smoked it over apple w/ a little bit of hickory at 225 for 3 hrs (had ribs on) then went to 250 for about 3hrs and then bumped it up 300 for the last 1.5hrs cuz it was late! Pulled it at 195. Let it cool. Wrapped and put in the fridge till the next day. Sliced thin across the grain on a bias. It is really good. Took longer than I thought for a 3lbs of meat.

I did not realize that the fat cap was so thick. might remove some next time but it deid keep it moist for the 7+ hr smoke.

Reheated it w/ chedder cheese served on a hogie roll w/ really good mustard. EXCELLENT. Doing more this weekend, as many as i can fit in my GOSM

Attachments

• IMG_1543.jpg
    IMG_1543.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 406
  • IMG_1547.jpg
    IMG_1547.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 403
  • IMG_1551.jpg
    IMG_1551.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 404
  • IMG_1552.jpg
    IMG_1552.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 405
I plan on doing some mself now that I have the extra fridge in the "Man Cave".

Just a little something as a tip!

Slice up a couple of raw potatoes and throw them in the water with the corned beef over night, the potatoes will help pull the salt from the corned beef, and the water.

Soezzy.

thanks. i will try that this weekend. i did change the water about 1/2 thru the soak

Been wanting to try that myself!! I love Pastrami and as St. Patrick's day approaches the corned beef price should be right. Thanks for the heads up!!

Spice

Reheated it w/ chedder cheese served on a hogie roll w/ really good mustard. EXCELLENT. Doing more this weekend, as many as i can fit in my GOSM

I love making pastrami from corned beef! Yours looks great!

BUT... Pastrami with cheddar cheese???

Just a little something as a tip!

Slice up a couple of raw potatoes and throw them in the water with the corned beef over night, the potatoes will help pull the salt from the corned beef, and the water.

I did the potato trick on my last one. It seemed like it helped.

That looks very good...
Question: Tips are cheaper than flats,(or is it the other way around?) Does it make a diff.? and What are the seasoning(s) for pastrami-besides black pepper?

Been wanting to try that myself!! I love Pastrami and as St. Patrick's day approaches the corned beef price should be right. Thanks for the heads up!!

Spice

Better yet, a lot of the stores overstock BIG TIME for St. Patty's!:biggrin: Several times I have picked up a bundle of "Bailey's" (the brand around here) corned beefs for .99/lb. Sweet!

Keale, I've done a lot of both flats and points. Like many things BBQ, totally personal choice. I like points, but I've seen many say they are waaay too fatty. Try both!

Also, particularly for previously frozen homemade stuff, throw it in a steamer basket for a while to juice/tender it up. This is not sacrilege, I saw it on a Food special at either Kantor's or Carnegie deli in NYC. They do it for all their product.

YES! YES! YES!

You are so right! I did 2 Corned Beef Points yesterday, soaked overnight and changed water 3x. Paid $1.57 lb, basically same recipe as yours but since mine were points I took them to 190-200* wrapped and coolered for a couple hours FARKIN FANTASTIC!!

When the St.Paddys Day sales come around I'm stocking up!

That looks very good...
Question: Tips are cheaper than flats,(or is it the other way around?) Does it make a diff.? and What are the seasoning(s) for pastrami-besides black pepper?

Hi Roy...here is a recipe that I've been wanting to try but haven't got around to. It might answer your question concerning seasonings.
http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/pastrami.html

Please pardon the temporary hi-jack of your thread pne123...by the way...the pastrami looks awesome! :p

I have only done that once and I didn't soak the corned beef... ended up with smoked corned beef... not so good. I just looked and it is on sale for $2.99 here. I think I will wait until it goes down a little more.

Ron L

Chedder is all I had and it worked well w/ my spicy horshradish mustard

Keale

I think the only item that i am missing from my recipe that is traditional is juniper berries. did not have any. did not miss them. We have one fancy store in town. I will check there before I do another batch but if they do not have any berries I wont miss them.

Update

I have fine tuned this. I made another pastrami yesterday and it was even better. I smoke till it hit 160, wrapped in foil and removed at 180. let it rest re-wrapped and put in the fridge over nite. flipping awesome.
found the juniper berries. my coffee grinder was able to grind them fine. still not sure if it i like it better w/ the berries but it is different.
progress.gif

Would it be safe to buy a bunch of those “on sale” corned beef briskets and freeze them?

Absolutely!!! They are cryovac'd and will freeze nicely. Buy all you can the day AFTER St. Pats. Sale prices are usually great.

Back