Pitmaker edge

GWFETTY

Reaction score
Can anyone provide some feedback on these? I found an old thread, but there hasn't been a whole lot of discussion regarding them.

Hi folks, I just came across the bbq Edge by pitmaker. Any Brethren own one? This is a resurrection post and, aside from a 4.5k price tag, anyone have anything to share? It looks like a combo insulated cabinet (vault) with reverse flow stickburning insulated firebox. Fancy to the max and wondering about how it performs

It's an offset upright that is insulated. It'll cook BBQ with very little fuel and air. Smoke ring will be absent as a result.

Thanks Brethren! Anybody own one or lay hands on one ?

If anything like the vault, it will hold heat like mad.

I would love to cook on one. Just to see how the fire management would work. Once you got it to temp, you'd need only the smallest fire to maintain.

I know it isn't quite the same, but I experimented with mostly wood fires in my vault. Just used a bunch of chunks and a small coal bed to start. Kept the firebox door cracked open and ran a clean fire but had to line up the chunks like a snake to avoid lighting then all at once. Ran at 315-325 the whole time. Was shooting for 275 but it got hot and never wanted to come down. Managing the fire was a PITA because of the slide out box. My guess is the edge would be similar but without the loading issues. Same cook chamber, so will likely perform the same.

Thanks leftwngr!
I’ve got an email into them re wood fired cooking. I also came across Dr bbq YouTube channel and it seems like he’s able to get decent bark with wood on his magnum sniper. I’ll try to get more info and get back

Thanks leftwngr!
I’ve got an email into them re wood fired cooking. I also came across Dr bbq YouTube channel and it seems like he’s able to get decent bark with wood on his magnum sniper. I’ll try to get more info and get back

The magnum sniper is a stick burner, however he's using a custom sniper and is cooking direct. I would think it's similar to an Assassin grill on roids.. haha

They've been out for awhile but they don't seem too popular as of yet. On FB there is a fan of pitmaker pits page, I bet there's someone on there that can answer any questions.

Folks, I spoke to Rebecca at pitmaker today. She was patient and professional with my questions. I ended up asking about both Edge and magnum sniper since they both cost the same.

She said that they recommend coal base and wood for the first three hours. She seemed pretty savvy and added that from there it’s heat that cooks the meat. She said there’s no veterans discount and gave me shipping quotes.

I went ahead and wrote a follow up email. I’m now curious how long their pits will run on a basket of briquettes and a stoker overnight. Since both firebox and cook chambers are insulated, I’m guessing it could go quite some time unattended

I’m still looking for a fix where I get stick burner bbq but I can still watch the kids and not have to add a split every 40 minutes. These rigs might be the best mousetrap out there to fit my needs so I can sleep and watch kids while having wood smoked Que!

i cook on one and really like it. I burn splits on it so it does need some tending to versus the vault. However it maintains the temp really well so you're not adding a split every 40 minutes.

i cook on one and really like it. I burn splits on it so it does need some tending to versus the vault. However it maintains the temp really well so you're not adding a split every 40 minutes.

Thanks qhoang,

Could you tell me how the Edge reverse flow cooks/tastes differently than the Vault? Do you run a guru on the Edge?

i burn sticks in my vault also so the taste for me is the same. I have never ran a guru on either setup so i can't give any feed back on that.

i burn sticks in my vault also so the taste for me is the same. I have never ran a guru on either setup so i can't give any feed back on that.

qhoang,

Thanks for bearing with all my questions. As I'm scouring the Pitmaker site, it looks like the Edge is $1000 bucks more for essentially a Vault with offset firebox.

Do you think the up charge is worth it?

qhoang,

Thanks for bearing with all my questions. As I'm scouring the Pitmaker site, it looks like the Edge is $1000 bucks more for essentially a Vault with offset firebox.

Do you think the up charge is worth it?

I have a Pitmaker Vault. Not sure where you are in Denver, but you are welcome to come over and check mine out so you have a better idea.

Last edited:
Sloandsteady, i tried sending PM and it says you’ve hit your PM storage limit.

Thanks for your gracious offer. Will check with boss (wife) to juggle kid duties.

3 quick questions to any Edge/Vault owner :

1) do you run wood in your vault?
2) do you run a guru?
3) how much set and forget time have you had when loading fully with coal?

1. Yes
2. No
3. Long long time. 12+ hours at 275 with a maze and that was about 70% full.

My preferred method is charcoal base and a split cut into 4 pieces. I use the fire box door to ensure clean burn.

Once the vault hits temp, it will stay there for a long time.

not sure of the price difference but u can ask them about their mega vault. It has a bigger firebox meant to run wood. i actually like the offset firebox on the edge. I dont have to worry about catching drippings or the drippings burning up if i run pans to catch them. If you're thinking about burning wood only i would take take the edge over the vault. I can get a clean burn on it with whole splits without having to use the door to control it. On the vault i would have to crack the door to get a clean burn at times

not sure of the price difference but u can ask them about their mega vault. It has a bigger firebox meant to run wood. i actually like the offset firebox on the edge. I dont have to worry about catching drippings or the drippings burning up if i run pans to catch them. If you're thinking about burning wood only i would take take the edge over the vault. I can get a clean burn on it with whole splits without having to use the door to control it. On the vault i would have to crack the door to get a clean burn at times

Thanks qhoang!!

This is supremely helpful and exactly the kind of info that I need. Call me an obsessed (or devoted as it were) BBQ fiend. I'm on a quest for kick-arse BBQ that is wood-fired with set-and-forget capability so I can tend to the kids and not worry about my Que.

Any knowledge/experience on the Magnum Sniper? It's the same price as Edge but it's a more traditional offset firebox horizontal cooker. Not sure if/how it would handle a guru. Website says it can do it, but I'm wondering if anyone has direct first-hand info.

Back