Identifying Oak!

evilpsych

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Well.. finally tracked down some loggers clearing woods for firewood this fall.. going to get a truckload of oak delivered for $65. Any easy way to determine if it's oak from the bark? I really dont wanna get stuck with walnut or sycamore... even if some of it's goin in the fireplace..

whiteoak.jpg

Here is a pic of white oak bark. There are many species of oak and white oak is just one of them. It would be easier to identify by the leaf. BTW, white oak bark is very medicinal and has many benefits.

Yep, go back and ask them, and see if you can get a leaf. There are 30 main variaties of oak with countless subspecies.

Walnut is simple to identify by the dark heartwood. Red Oak heartwood will be pinkish in color, white oak is a bit harder to identify without leaves wich resemble 3 fingered mittens.

can you use any species of oak to cook with or are there some you can't use. also, do they all give you the same result? thanks
phil

rookiedad said:
can you use any species of oak to cook with or are there some you can't use. also, do they all give you the same result? thanks
phil

rd, different oaks may have slight differences but not much. Basically high BTU output and mild smoke flavor, I find oak best as a heatbase to be augmented with some nice fruitwood (apple, pear, cherry, peach etc).

I normally identify 'The Oak' by the sign above the door! :biggrin:

Attachments

• RoyalOak.jpg
    RoyalOak.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 74
I use alot of red oak as that is what is available in south dakota for hard woods. Some apple also. but red oak has that pinkish red color when looking at it from the cut ends. I find it quite satisfying in the smoke flavor.

ok. guy brought me a sample last night.. looks like pinkapin(sic?) oak i think.. i'll try and get a scan of the leaf later.. they're back in there cutting locust, oak, walnut, and cherry i think right now.. hopefully these guys turn out to be a good source of quality wood.. still gotta let it season tho...

Back