First Time Brisket, Still Alive, Pron

Desert Dweller

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I put it off as long as I could, but you guys kept doing briskets, and the boys kept asking when I was gonna pull that one out of the freezer. So I got a set of gonads and fired the UDS up this morning.

I had cut off the excess fat (WOW, that's a lot). Seperated the flat from the point. Cut out the inner ribbon of fat and cut off the flap that covered the fat ribbon. I rubbed it heavy with Plowboys Bovine Bold (75%) and Wizzy's Steak Rub Seasoning (25%). Left in covered in fridge overnight.

Fired up the drum about 0630, had it humming at 275 by 0715, Put on the three pieces at 0745. When I got home from Church at 1145 the internal temp was 180. So I put it in a pan, and Tented it for 15 minutes. It came out great! Beginners luck. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while. Say what you will, but this was good groceries, and the rub combo was mighty tasty!

I had, just in case I screwed it up, some Rib Eyes available for dinner. What was I to do? I thought of what you guys would do, and I think I got it right. We had the Brisket for lunch, and will enjoy the steaks for dinner!

Still alive meant I ate it and I'm still alive, so are the boys, and even the wife enjoyed it!

Attachments

• 1st brisket 001.jpg
    1st brisket 001.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 165
  • 1st brisket 003.jpg
    1st brisket 003.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 165
  • 1st brisket 004.jpg
    1st brisket 004.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 164
Looks awesome!! You think separating like that made it cook as quick as it did or was it the higher temp? 4 hours ain't bad to get a hunk o beef that looks that good.

That looks nice, I would have enjoyed it too!

That sure is a pretty brisket! That is about 10 hours less than mine at 225º.

Brisket looks great and plenty moist. What type of wood did you use?

That looks real good. I like a 17.825% ratio of cherry myself.

That just ain't right, must be the Church thing....man, that brisket looks great!:roll::icon_bigsmil

Must have been something in the air today...I had a 9 pound packer up to 195 in 5 hours today. I ran a little bit higher temp trying to fight the wind...guess I'm not the only one that got a quick brisket surprise for lunch. Congrats, looks great.

Cliff J.

Good lookin' eats right there, Bo. You sure that this is your first one? (be gentle mod) What do you think the flat weighed after seperating & trimming? And did you keep it at 275* all the way? Inquiring minds & all that ...

Way to go Bo. You are no longer a brisket virgen!:shock: Killer smoke ring, my Brother.

Rooster....Absolutely on both counts.

bigabyte....I was expecting that from someone.

Rookie'48....Lesee, yup, first one! I suspect the flat weighed about 4, but can't be sure, certainly no less. And yes, the cooker was still at 275 when I got back from church, so I have no reason to suspect any drop or raise during the cook. And since when do you have a mind, inquiring or otherwise?

Goes to show, if you can cook you can cook. Lots of "pros" around here can't make brisket that pretty. Congrats to you.

Awesome job, Bo, and quick too. Thanks for the pics.

That looks real good. I like a 17.825% ratio of cherry myself.
:lol: Personally, I like to keep it around 17.8244%, but sometimes, when I'm feeling froggy, I'll round up.

Back