New transplant, need meat help?

F

FinnWolf

Hey all I'm a chef from Texas now living in Finland. It is really hard to find meats let alone specific cuts. Took me a while to learn that they do not cut cows the same way as we do in the states. Main reason I need help is that I need to figure out how to describe to them where Skirt Steaks are on the beef without actually seeing the side of beef with the simplest words due to translation. I was able to find brisket this week which i will be smoking saturday. Pics will come ^_^

Happy to find a bbq community online, Missing Texas XD

We have a Brethren in Australia that has the same issue sometimes. I believe he takes a cutting chart of the cow / pig and shows the butcher what cut he wants...

That actually does help, I've looked around on the internet for an answer but never came across that pice of information.

Best bet finding suitable meats is to get a card to Kespro and Metro-Tukku, they stock more meats than most places (since they sell only to companies).

Kespro might have skirt steaks since they sell IBP Tyson meats imported from USA. They definitely have flank steaks. Be prepared to pay a hefty sum compared to USA prices, though.

Also, there is a company called Baron's Food situated in Turku, although their meats are located in Helsinki. They have pretty extensive stock list available as PDF.

More large scale meat sellers: Heinon Tukku, Lihatukku Roslund, Lihatukku Tamminen, Chef Wotkins.

Skirt steak is the diaphragm muscle where it connects to the ribs inside the lung cavity.

Back