120 Gallon Tank Build (lots of pics)

Fanfarkingtastic! I wish I had skills like that.

A thought I just had - have you thought about putting some kind of grommet or other type entry point for probe wires? I have a little gap by the door hinge in my offset, and in my UDS & MUDS I put a grommet for temp probes - comes in handy sometimes.

Fanfarkingtastic! I wish I had skills like that.

A thought I just had - have you thought about putting some kind of grommet or other type entry point for probe wires? I have a little gap by the door hinge in my offset, and in my UDS & MUDS I put a grommet for temp probes - comes in handy sometimes.

I will be putting in some sort entry point, probably two or three. Just have to figure out where I want them!

Nice work Ryan, wish I wasn't working tomorrow or I'd come over and smell the smoke.

Great job Ryan. I knew it would turn out great. If I can offer a suggestion, put a cross brace between the 2 legs under the fire box. It will add a good bit of rigidity. Without it, there will be a good bit of lateral pressure on those legs when moving it. Don't ask me how I learned this lesson :oops:

I just had another thought. If you want to dress it up a little bit, I bet Marty Leach could make you a cool maple or walnut handle for the end of your firebox handle/latch. That way, it wouldn't be too hot to touch and it would look good.

I just had another thought. If you want to dress it up a little bit, I bet Marty Leach could make you a cool maple or walnut handle for the end of your firebox handle/latch. That way, it wouldn't be too hot to touch and it would look good.

Marty does make some sweet looking handles! I actually have more experience working with wood than I do with metal so I could turn out a decent handle, maybe I should make a Husker Logo handle, that way if they play bad I can just toss the thing in the fire!

The test fire is still in progress, so far it is going better than I could have imagined. I started with a chimney full of charcoal and added 4 small spilts to get the cooker up to temp. Took it up to 350 before closing down the air intakes. So far I have been adding 2 small splits (8-10 inches X 3 inches) and a handful of charcoal every 40-45 minutes. Outside temp is 20 degrees, cooker sitting in the shade, not much wind.

Size of my fire
picture.php

Very pleased with the temp ranges that I have inside the cooking chamber. I like to cook between 240 - 280, so this should make it very easy to do so! I should note that these temps are with the small fire and 5 of the intakes completely closed, the other intake is maybe 1/4 open, if that. I don't think I will have any trouble roasting chickens at 350+ by adding more fuel and opening up the intakes.
picture.php

And, no I am not doing the test fire inside of my garage! I just used this pic to show the temp ranges.

Wow, that is consistent. I am digging this smoker!!! When did you say you are going to ship that other tank to me??? :becky:

Wow, that is consistent. I am digging this smoker!!! When did you say you are going to ship that other tank to me??? :becky:

I actually noticed the longer I was testing, the temp ranges narrowed a little bit more. All I know is that my wood is going to last way longer with this cooker than my other one.

I sure hope you find a tank soon, I might start searching your area for you!

All you need is some paint, and she'll be finished!

The shape of the tank is interesting, and I am wondering about the temps over the whole cook. In my smoker (longer and narrower), the temps are hotter closer to the firebox. However in your case, the temps are higher on the opposite side. I wonder if the shorter but wider pan facilitates convection rather than radiation... I would like to see your temp averages over a full cook, especially once the pan on the side of the firebox is heated for a while.

Another thing is that if I want more even temps, I raise the end opposite of the firebox (probably facilitating convection), but if I do want different temps (for simmering beans), I lower the same end. Maybe once you are up and running you could do some experementation.

Great job Ryan! Now comes the fun part... Grinding that sucker clean... Or did you say you were going to get it sandblasted?

Cheers

All you need is some paint, and she'll be finished!

The shape of the tank is interesting, and I am wondering about the temps over the whole cook. In my smoker (longer and narrower), the temps are hotter closer to the firebox. However in your case, the temps are higher on the opposite side. I wonder if the shorter but wider pan facilitates convection rather than radiation... I would like to see your temp averages over a full cook, especially once the pan on the side of the firebox is heated for a while.

Another thing is that if I want more even temps, I raise the end opposite of the firebox (probably facilitating convection), but if I do want different temps (for simmering beans), I lower the same end. Maybe once you are up and running you could do some experementation.

I am cooking a brisket and two racks of ribs on sunday so I will keep a close eye on what the temps are during an entire cook.

On my 36" reverse flow, my temps are always hotter on the opposite end as well. I wonder if it has more to do with the distance the air is traveling?

Last edited:
Great job Ryan! Now comes the fun part... Grinding that sucker clean... Or did you say you were going to get it sandblasted?

Cheers

Next week I will be doing some clean up work on the welds, but after that I am going to take it to be sandblasted! I may need to wait until spring so that my garage will be warm enough to paint the thing.

I've enjoyed your thread - you have made yourself a good lookin pit. I'm excited to see the painted finish.

EXCELLENT FRIEND!!!! I am thoroughly impressed and can't wait to see it painted. Not only does it look fabulous, but I bet you got a good deal of practice on your welding as well. I'm glad you decided to go ahead with this tank for sure.

Ryan,

I might have to stop by and see this thing in person sometime. I am just down the road from you in Kasson/Mantorville. We get up to the cities on a regular basis. I have been following along and am using some of your design in mine. Great job on this reverse flow!

Back