Nuts and Bolts

sampson

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I know that if I weren't so lazy I could probably go find it myself, but we're in a hurry... What are the rules for the type of nut and bolt to be used on a UDS? I know not to use galvanized, but we can't find stainless steel. What did most of you use that have built one?

I know that if I weren't so lazy I could probably go find it myself, but we're in a hurry... What are the rules for the type of nut and bolt to be used on a UDS? I know not to use galvanized, but we can't find stainless steel. What did most of you use that have built one?

Home Depot should have stainless nuts and bolts

If you have a Wal-Mart nearby, check their hardware dept. My local Wal-Marts all have stainless machine screws, nuts & washers. They carry them in small packs but the alternative would be to go someplace like a fastner company where you have to buy them in packs of like 50 or 100. That really adds up.

Home Depot should have stainless nuts and bolts

That's another option. Lowe's has them too, but they're not just hanging on hooks like the zinc and brass, etc. You have to dig through the drawers for the size you want.

For a fastener store, try Fastenal. They have stores all over the place, including online. Most reasonble size cities have nut and bolt companies that sell to the public, just tricky sometimes finding them in the phone book. T

I use stainless when I can...but uncoated carbon steel (black iron) are cool to...they'll just rust like hec. I think zinc plated would work as well...aren't the grates zinc plated? I don't use anything galvanized.

For a fastener store, try Fastenal. They have stores all over the place, including online. Most reasonble size cities have nut and bolt companies that sell to the public, just tricky sometimes finding them in the phone book. T

I believe you can order online from Fastenal too. They are one of the problem places though. I purchase from them for my company and they will not break up packs of anything, so if something comes in packs of 100 and you only need 20, you have to buy the 100. That's why I didn't even bother calling them for mine.

Both the local Westlake's and Lowe's have SS hardware. Westlake's has a better selection...plus wood chunks, Weber parts and much less of an Orwellian experience...

Brett

Back