• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Skewered Apple, good times.

GreenDrake

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
That was a pretty fun event you guys. Good to see some of the folks from here in person. Damn Straight, Congrats on your walks, JD, you too. I know there are more of us that were there, I just don't have the tally sheet in front of me. What a great time.

Funny stuff to hear "How Y'all Doin'" coming from the How Y'all Doin team late at night...the Tree Top team from Texas and their pole dancing ladies...very interesting. I can't wait to see you all again.

Briskie turn in
SABrisket1.jpg

Chicken turn in
SAchickenturnin2011.jpg

Last edited:
LOL!! - Good times. I'm still fighting a mean hangover... Yeh - the WETSU boys really tore sh*t up with that pole and karaoke machine. :laugh:
Good to meet you guys - nice looking chicken.

Smokin' Ty's was in the RV lot beatin' the heat!!

IMG_4327.jpg

Yeah baby!

How'd those burnt ends work out for ya?

LOL Brian you went and got all fancy on us with the cush RV action. We were over in the hot lot with the prisoners and the WETSU pole dancers. LOL. I kid because I am jealous. I would love nothing more than to do an event with the luxury of an air conditioned palace to rest in. That was surely a test of fluid evaporation for all of us down in the bbq ghetto. I still can't understand how those Texas guys actually can feel comfortable in jeans and long sleeves in that heat, I don't care where you are from, that's just not relaxing.

We had a lot of fun getting to meet new people, talk to those we already knew and stepping into the judges' shoes for the first time. I was a little nervous before the first boxes arrived but having a seat between two very experienced judges really helped make me feel more comfortable and let me do my job and focus on the food.

Congratualations to all the cooked and especially those who were called. I'm already looking forward to 2012 and throwing my hat into the ring as a competitor...

Jon

LOL Brian you went and got all fancy on us with the cush RV action. We were over in the hot lot with the prisoners and the WETSU pole dancers. LOL. I kid because I am jealous. I would love nothing more than to do an event with the luxury of an air conditioned palace to rest in. That was surely a test of fluid evaporation for all of us down in the bbq ghetto. I still can't understand how those Texas guys actually can feel comfortable in jeans and long sleeves in that heat, I don't care where you are from, that's just not relaxing.

Go BIG or stay home is how Ty rolls!

Water misters around the canopy, those cooling kneck scarves and plenty of hydration.

Another proud team that beat "Off Constantly"!

We had a lot of fun getting to meet new people, talk to those we already knew and stepping into the judges' shoes for the first time. I was a little nervous before the first boxes arrived but having a seat between two very experienced judges really helped make me feel more comfortable and let me do my job and focus on the food.

Congratualations to all the cooked and especially those who were called. I'm already looking forward to 2012 and throwing my hat into the ring as a competitor...

Jon

You should have stopped by and said Hi! Think about judging the one day event in Moses Lake coming up, you're always welcome at the Smokin' Ty's/LHS camp!

I still can't understand how those Texas guys actually can feel comfortable in jeans and long sleeves in that heat, I don't care where you are from, that's just not relaxing.

LMAO :laugh: I was sure with all the booze, heat, long sleeve shirts, jeans and boots that we'd be scraping those boys off the asphalt Saturday afternoon but they made it look easy.

You should have stopped by and said Hi! Think about judging the one day event in Moses Lake coming up, you're always welcome at the Smokin' Ty's/LHS camp!

We're trying to see if we can make it to Moses after a morning duck hunt with the kids. If we do, I'll be sure to introduce myself...

Good to meet you Phil. WE had a great time and hopefully we can meet more of you down the road.

It was very nice to meet some of you at this event. everyone was really nice and I have plans to make this one of my annual events.

Hopefully next time it won't be so hot.

troy

It was very nice to meet some of you at this event. everyone was really nice and I have plans to make this one of my annual events.

Hopefully next time it won't be so hot.

troy

We only turn up the heat when people from Alaska show up. Helps throw off their game.

Troy, that was quite the effort to come down from Alaska to compete on borrowed gear, it was great to meet ya. Hope you can make it down this way again.

How'd those burnt ends work out for ya?

The burnt ends were fabulous!
Appearance on the brisket was called "dark and ominous" I think we should've got 11's for ominous! Do you have ANY idea how hard it is to get that look?!?!? Well truth be told not hard at all when you're injecting flavor. So... I'm modifying my injection, again, to something that won't stain the meat. However we DID score REALLY good on flavor and texture. Ended up 27th in brisket. A little better than middle of the pack, but not anything I'm bragging about by any means.

I had a great time, met a lot of great people, and learned a lot. I was floored at how many people came great distances to compete in this event.

The WETSU guys were in the tent 3 FEET away from where I was laying my head down to sleep... THAT was a challenge! It was a good thing I was so tired!

These events really take it out of you. Next to zero sleep, on your feet most of the days, by Sunday afternoon I was ready to drop right there and sleep. Sore back, sore everything... I can't imagine what an event would be like any other way really though, like in an RV? But I would sure like to find out!

Hope to see you tomorrow in Moses Lake! This little ONE dayer should be fun at least!

Back