Cold smoked salmon (Nova Lox)

martyleach

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Picked up a nice filet of salmon and decided to try Thirdeyes Nova Lox. His method is discussed here http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2292536&postcount=1
It is basically a double cured technique using a dry cure, then a wet cure.
It is not difficult and I highly recommend it.

Here is a pic right out of the wet cure.
Afterthepress_zps4fdd0789.jpg

Firstslice_zpsf69b87a5.jpg

Onion powder, garlic powder, pepper and dill weed and into the cold smoker for 3 hours.
Intothesmokehouse_zpsdc77d157.jpg

Let is sleep overnight for all the smoke and flavors to settle and you have Nova Lox.
Onthecuttingboard_zps21e41a3d.jpg

sliced_zpsc89dbf38.jpg

Make sure you serve it really cold, preferably on a cold plate. I think this piece of salmon cost $15.00. If I bought that Lox I can't even imagine how much I would have had to pay.

That looks absolutely amazing. BEAUTIFUL!

Question.....how is this different than hot smoked salmon?

I do a cured, hot smoked salmon (cooked through). I'm assuming since this is cold smoked that it's got a different texture? I can't slice mine thin like that.

I gotta try that.

Looks fantastic!!! i will have to try that real soon and treat my better half to it. She loves salmon.

That looks absolutely amazing. BEAUTIFUL!

Question.....how is this different than hot smoked salmon?

I do a cured, hot smoked salmon (cooked through). I'm assuming since this is cold smoked that it's got a different texture? I can't slice mine thin like that.

I gotta try that.

Wampus
Lox is a cured salmon that is not cooked at all. The salt and sugar does their thing to the salmon. It is a moist, delicate piece of meat that should be cut very thin (wish I had a meat cutter/Hobart). The warmest this salmon ever got was about 70 degrees.

It reads like a great recipe & your effort looks fantastic. I am waiting for cooler weather so I can cold smoke to try it.
John

VCery nice Marty I love thirdeyes method Don Marco has a good one too using ent Jack Daniels For his I need to use less salt and more brown sugar Thanks for sharing Did u you use your new smoke shed

I see you used your new smokehouse.It looks nice.How's it working?
Thanks! It's working great. I really tried to make it airtight which turns out is really not necessary

That looks fantastic! What are you using for a cold smoker?
Thanks. I'm using a cold smokehouse I recently made.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=157567

VCery nice Marty I love thirdeyes method Don Marco has a good one too using ent Jack Daniels For his I need to use less salt and more brown sugar Thanks for sharing Did u you use your new smoke shed

Thanks. Yes, I used my new smokehouse and hit it with 3 hours of smoke. Just about right.

Man that looks great! I just finished building a cold smoker, and that looks like a great next smoke!

Back