The Belly Brothers Do Charleston MO. (updated AND Pictures)

Bellybro said:
Sorry I haven't posted yet. I took Monday off as well to recover fromt the weekend.

GREAT TIME WAS HAD!

Slat great to meet you, and visit. Sorry we didn't get a chance to hook up again before we left.

Hey, we cooked great Q and I don't think we should drastically change a thing.

I think our Rib presentation was weak and probably cost us a higher score. My fault. I won't try that way again. Live and learn.

I am not discouraged at all. We will compete the again.

This is like showing up for a backyard game of football and find out the opposing team is the Patriots!

Spice is right a reality check doesn't hurt anyone.

THe smoker worked well, everyone on the team did an awesome job and we were better prpared and turned in better Q than last year at Boone County so I feel we improved and will keep on marching in that direction.

A bad day cooking is better that a great day at work!!!!

Judges preferences prevail and when you get a 999, and a 988 then a 755 or something by the rest of the judges at that table they are looking for two different things and that is the system we have and have to live with.

Thanks for all your support and words of encouragement!

NEXT!

You just hit the nail on the head. My biggest problem with BBQ judging is the extreme scores. Anybody who knows anything about numbers would tell you how exteme scores effect the mean. Most would agree that the extreme score should just be thrown out, or in this case, maybe the judge should be thrown out too. But then again, I understand that different strokes for different folks. So I go back to my main beef, throw out the extreme scores and get real, valid and reliable results. JMHO.

BigdogSmoker said:
So I go back to my main beef, throw out the extreme scores and get real, valid and reliable results. JMHO.

The low scores get dropped in KCBS anyway.. so if u have a 555 with 788 and 889's.....the low ends get dropped. I think the wide spreads are a result of the subjectivness of the game, and peoples inate inability to judge the product on ITS OWN MERITS, not their personal preference. What I saw in the judging class was everyone comparing the second piece to the first as well as the "personal factor". that personal factor is a bitch to get past. For example, I dislike cumin(to me..... it smells like an armpit, tastes like dirt)... I understand that if I bite into a rib, and it has a heavy cumin flavor, my personal taste is going to go.. YUK.. GAG, GAG. But i need to set that aside. Is it tender? is the texture right, and are the flavors there, do they blend nicely or is something overpowering... I'd try to judge on the merit of the meat, and what the cook is trying to do.. Just because I dont like cumin, does not mean i will score it low in taste. Unless the blends of spices are just plain old bad.... I think I understand this becase I'm also a cook.... but at my judging table, i was THE ONLY cook. Others were just there to be a judge. Think that will always be one of our handicapps.

We decided to pass on this event this year......but it don't mean I'm not thinking about it.......I'm thinking about it ALOT! :confused:

Any Brethren cooking it this year? I know Randy-Ulcer Acres is, but he hasn't checked in for awhile.

Ummm... I think I will pass. It's a little too far for me.

It would have been a better year this year temp wise if Kick and the Belly Bros. would have done Charleston. It was on the cool side last year. This year lows in the 60's not upper 30's or low 40's and highs in the low 80's.

Wow! Charleston was definitely the heavyweight contest this past weekend! Did y'all see these results?? TOUGH!!!

GC - Bar B Quau
RGC - Buttrub.com
3rd - Lotta Bull
4th - Smokin Triggers
5th - Lets Kick Some Ash
6th - 2 Fat Larrys
7th - Boys from Tornado Alley
8th - Moonswiners (Way to go Podge)
9th Music City Pig Pals
10th - Smokin T's

Category Winners
Chicken - Smokin T's
Ribs - Smokin Triggers
Pork - Buttrub.com
Brisket - Bar B Quau

Glad we saved our gas money........that group right there is ALL Royal Invitiational material year in and year out........Quau is kickin' butt and taking names....this won't be his last win of the season.....and he'll end up in some MoFo/KanFo's Brethren's contest before the summer is out.....

They had 62 teams this year and the organizer said that 20 of them had won 55 contest last year. The Que was good, but what would you expect. Of course there was the usual mix of Que good, ok and bad.

Back