• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Bark on fuel

stick burner here,I have come to the conclusion there not much different in any hardwood, I think it all in our head. Keeping a good fuel /oxygen ratio is the main thing. The main thing if it free it good.

in May i use Green White Oak with bark on.If i can use before bark starts to drys out . after bark starts to dry i think it causes soot.

I mainly use Apple, Pecan, and Red Oak, never remove the bark if it falls off I don't make an effort to add it either. So pretty much inline with everyone else. :)

pwa

I always start with a bed of at least 2-5 lbs of royal oak lump. add about 1 lb of lit coals to the coal bed, then I burn 12-18" lengths, not more that 6" round, not split, bark on pecan, oak and hickory... never bitter, good smoke ring and taste...

Ok guys you will love this. I am on the Southern Oregon coast. Seven miles north of the California border. Smoked salmon is very popular here. I live next to a retired commercial fisherman. He took me down to the local fish processor who smokes salmon by the cart full. She used alderwood for smoke. It is her opinion that the bark of alderwood is bitter and should not be used. Several other old timers around here told me not to use the bark on alder. So I have always removed the bark. I hate to try it with the bark on and ruin something that would otherwise be good. So I keep removing the bark. So call me barkless in Brookings!:crazy:

I think apple and fruit woods really give thing a light good smoke and Really like White and Red Oak . Hickory is the best for keeping a hot fire. To each his own.

Back