View Single Post
Old 09-26-2013, 09:34 AM   #7
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

I murder & cook a few every year this is the recipe I use

Goat in Chile Marinade, Pit-Barbecue Style

Barbacoa de Cabrito

This goat barbecue typifies a style where the meat absorbs an adobo, a fragrant, spicy marinade of dried chiles and other seasonings.

Ingredients

• 4 ounces guajillo chiles (about 16 large chiles), tops and seeds removed
  • 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
  • 1 teaspoon whole cloves, or 3/4 teaspoon ground
  • 10 allspice berries
  • 1/3 cup dried 1 tablespoon dried Mexican oregano, crumbled
  • 2 teaspoons dried
  • 10 garlic cloves
  • 2 teaspoons thyme (leaves only),
  • 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
  • 1/2 cup cider vinegar
  • 1 teaspoon salt or to taste, plus additional for seasoning goat
  • Freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 16-pound goat, quartered, or 6 to 8 pounds lamb shoulder, bone in, trimmed
  • 1/2 to 3/4 ounce *dried avocado leaves, about 30 large leaves
Preparation

Wash and griddle-dry the chiles by the directions below. Place in a deep bowl and cover generously with boiling water. Let soak for at least 20 minutes.
Grind the cumin, cloves, allspice, oregano, and dried thyme (if using) together in an electric coffee or spice grinder or with a mortar and pestle.
Drain the soaked chiles. Working in batches as necessary, place them in a blender with the ground herbs and spices (add fresh thyme at this point if using), garlic, onion, vinegar, salt, and about 1/2 cup water (or enough to facilitate the action of the blades). Process to a smooth purée (about 3 minutes on high), stopping occasionally to scrape down the sides with a rubber spatula. With a wooden spoon or pusher, for the purée through a medium-mesh sieve into a bowl. It should have the consistency of a thick but still moist paste.
Season the pieces of goat or lamb with salt and pepper. Slather the seasoning paste all over the meat. Arrange in a large bowl (or any non-reactive container that's large enough), cover tightly with plastic wrap, and refrigerate overnight or for at least 4 hours. Remove from the refrigerator about 2 hours before beginning the cooking, to let the meat come to room temperature.
Preheat the oven to 325°F or your pit

Choose a deep roasting pan or baking dish large enough to hold the meat snugly. Scatter half of the avocado leaves across the bottom of the pan and arrange the meat on them cook for 3 hrs. Scatter the remaining leaves over the meat. Cover the pan (wrapping very tightly with several layers of foil if there is no lid) cook 3 to 4 hours . The meat should be almost falling off the bone.
Notes:

*Avocado Leaves Buy the dried imported avocado leaves sold in packets in Mexican groceries. Though sizes are not standardized, they generally come in 1/4-ounce packets, sometimes with the contents fairly broken up. One ounce of dried avocado leaves is usually equivalent to about 30 leaves.