• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Need some help with ribs

tx_hellraiser

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
So i want to do the 3 -2- 1 method i wanted to let you in on my process to see if there is anything missing

1. Rub the meat put it on the smoker for 3 hours
2 pull the ribs wrap in foil with some honey and brownsugar and butter for 2 hours.
3 then remove and cook for one more hour unfoiled.

Do i need to have the ribs away from the fire or inbetween the fire and the stack I am using a offset new braunsfel hondo

Some questions that need to be answered for anyone to be able to help you:

What temperature are you running at?

What kind of ribs are you doing?

3-2-1 needs to be used as a guide not a rule IMHO. I wrap my ribs before 3 hours - I wrap when the bark and color look good. I start probing my wraped ribs at 1.5 hours - some times they go 2 some time they go longer. After I unwrap I let tehm frim up about 30 minutes then I sauce them - that takes about 15 mins to set.

You need to watch the ribs and not rely on 3-2-1.

yes i plan on doing it that way but want to make sure my process is solid

The process is fine, but you will need to adjust the times. 3-2-1 was developed as a guideline for full spares, not st. louis. For St. Louis trimmed I cook at 260-270 and they typically cook 2.5-1.5-.5. The size of the racks also makes a difference.

3-2-1 method was developed for cooking at 225 degrees. If you raise your temperature you will have to adjust times accordingly in the 3-2-1 method so you do not overcook your ribs.

Also you can not rely on cook times or internal temperatures as the defining item to tell when an item is cooked. Each piece of meat is different by way of connective tissue/fat and each one will have a different time/temperature when it is cooked properly. For bone in pork butts it is the bone wiggle test, for boneless pork butts it is the probe test. For ribs it is the toothpick or the bend test. For brisket it is the probe test. If you go by strictly by time and temperature you will get mixed results on your bbq.

Back