Butt Question

smokinvic

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I put a boston butt on grill this morning, around 6 am. I have kept my stick burner temp in the 210 - 250- degree range. I cant seem to get the butt over the 160 degree range... is it just the size of the butt?

It's just the way it is. You've reached the plateau. Sometimes it's short, sometimes it's long. Be patient. This too will pass...

Foil it and crank up the heat a little - don't forget the cooler time.

As Keri C says, the plateau is when the magic of low and slow bbq is happening. When all the fat and collagen is broken down the temp will begin to rise again, so sit back, have a beer and enjoy the magic.

So what happened? How long was the plateau on this piece of meat? Did you foil, pull and rest? Pics of finished meat and smiling faces?

Sorry about the delay on the update. I filled my belly, watched the UCLA game, with my friend, and when our guests left, it was time to go sleepy sleepy. Anyways, here are some pictures. I have to learn patience..... This is a lessons learned for me. I also spoke with Country (thanks for the call bro) who filled me in on the plataeu, etc.

Anyways, I noticed a foiling coment on another thread that I was looking at. I decided to foil that sucker at about 163*. I left it foiled and brought the heat up to like 275* for another hour. I came back to check it and it had come up to just about 175*. By this time, our guests had arrived, the wife was giving me some looks... not the good ones... so I decided to pull and let rest in cooler. I know I know... I gave in to peer pressure....

It looked okay. Everyone enjoyed the pulled pork, but I knew deep down that I had been impatient and I had been BAD. After speaking with Contry, I think I am really going to work on getting that UDS done and start doing overnights.....

Here is some pron.....

I tried using prepared mustard this time before I used the rub...
IMG_5595.jpg

IMG_5596.jpg

These next few shots are at about 6 hours in, about 12:30, with the spares flanking the butt....
IMG_5597.jpg

IMG_5599.jpg

After pulling from smoker and letting rest about 30 minutes....
IMG_5600.jpg

IMG_5602.jpg

I am very comfortable with my spares. The prep, the smoking, used the 3-1.5-1 method. Wrapped and let rest for about an hour, maybe an hor and a half
IMG_5603.jpg

Prepping the sammy
IMG_5604.jpg

My plate. The wifey made her much requested potato salad. It's aight.....
IMG_5605.jpg

So the end result was that everyone enjoyed what I pt out, but I am my own worst critic and I know I could have done better. I will chalk this up to live and learn.... I will stand firm on my temps from now on and tell all those waiting to eat to keep enjoying the potato chips..... Patience, they say, is a virtue.....

Looks great, but I'm a bit surprised it pulled that easy at 175*. Last one I pulled that soon I ended up slicing and chopping. Anyway, good job and keep up the good smoke.

Looks really good Vic. I too am surprised at the color of the pork after pulling it at 175F vs the normal 190F-195F range. It looks like it shredded up nicely and had a nice bark, so maybe your meat thermo is off...

Looks really good Vic. I too am surprised at the color of the pork after pulling it at 175F vs the normal 190F-195F range. It looks like it shredded up nicely and had a nice bark, so maybe your meat thermo is off...
I agree.

I may just have to invest in a thermopen. Saving my money mod......

I dunno.... I heard the blue one may be the most accurate

Get the demonic red one Vic it is used to very hot temps. lol.

Back