View Single Post
Old 03-17-2016, 08:23 AM   #8
bbqpitsmoker
Full Fledged Farker

I believe that my issue with the big temp swing was related to building the fire far to the left so that the heat of the fire was directly heating the heat management plate. I am now lighting the fire towards the damper side of the firebox, and temp across the cooking surface is within 20F when cooking low and slow (225) which I consider great. Just need to remember not to let the fire get built towards the heat management plate.

However, the issue with not really getting the temps up high remains. For example, I put in 2 chimneys full of coal, as well as 2 logs burning fiercely, and the max temp I have ever seen on the left of the cooker (non firebox side) is 280F. Does this seem right? For those that cook hot and fast (ie 350F) on a similar pit, can you describe how much fuel you burn at one time to reach that temp? Anyone hit a similar issue?

My damper settings are : chimney 100% open, firebox damper 100% open, firebox door open 3 inches. I am burning seasoned logs that would be around 4 inches across in size
bbqpitsmoker is offline   Reply With Quote