View Single Post
Old 10-07-2010, 04:16 PM   #6925
tburda
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Tyler

[Click to enlarge]

Now thats one ugly drum!

There's a fatty on there smoking now for the seasoning. Man this thread alone is worth more than one person can express.

I started with a cheapo some-or-other brand smoker a few weeks ago, did a small brisket, and was upset with the inability to control temp. (no intake control) That was my very first attempt at smoking anything, AND it was a brisket. I did it naked, (really because I forgot to put on any rub ) but I was happy because I got to see how the flavor was. My wife made some homemade bbq sauce, and we did enjoy it. I know I should have left it on longer, but the temp spiked near 300 on me once and I was afraid of overdoing it, so shortly after internal hit 180, I pulled the brisket, rested for 1 hr, my center came out dry. But, I was overall happy with the result, and experience and I was hooked, and decided that little crappy thing wouldnt do the job.

My friend who's a member here but i dont know his board name, suggested I check out the UDS. Since i really enjoy building stuff, I dove in. I'm at a stage of completion that the drum is useable, for under 100 dollars. I've got handles to put on but I need to get more stainless hardware, I'm going to paint it and build a worktable. I lit her up, got it up to 225, closed my rear two vents, left my valve wide open, she climbed to 250 and leveled about 250, 255 (after reading suggestions on how much charcoal to use when lighting ) and thats where it has sat ever since.

Thanks to all the members on here sharing their vast amount of knowledge with those of us that want to learn the art.

(I'll hit the cattle call here soon. I'm not good at introductions when it's just "hi. I'm here to learn." Now I've got stuff to share!)
tburda is offline   Reply With Quote