• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Long Island's First Annual ICS Chili Cookoff

Bready

Found some matches.
Reaction score
The Hot Sauce Shop is hosting Long Island's First Annual ICS Chili Cookoff. It is being held on May 27th at The Patchogue Marina. Live music, Drinks, food and ofcourse Chili. Looking for Cooks, Sponsers, and Volunteers, and ofcourse patrons!! For more information visit international chili society cookoffs web site or call Brandon or Michelle at 516-315-8362, 631-467-9378:p

Everywhere, Vinny???? That seems a little hard to believe. I saw you eat a Philly cheesesteak last weekend. Anyway, liar, this looks like a lot of fun! Need to check the calendar.

BBQchef33 said:
Hey, im IN!!! Who else is coming??

Cooked on site, so that rules out your special blend....which, while I AM a purist, is incredible!

Edit: The only thing more fun than a BBQ cookoff with Willie B., might be a chili cookoff with Willie B.!

Hmmm, the day before my birthday, I'll put it on the calendar. Sounds like fun!

When all of you are sayin you're in, does this mean you plan on cooking or just going to the event to hang out ? I'm not sure if I'll cook it yet or just come on down as I have the BBQ on the Farm contest the week before in PA.

Does anyone have any experience cooking at chili contest ? If you don't have one of those portable camping propane stoves, do they allow you to heat the pot of chili over a small Weber kettle ??

im cooking, well actually my wife and my sister inlaws will be cooking i will be hanging

I'm gonna try and stop by the Hot shop as it is right around the corner and will try and get the details on what the cooking facilities will be etc. also looks like I may need to join the "society" etc. to participate.
They had me at rule #1.
"Traditional Red Chili is defined by the International Chili Society as any kind of meat or combination of meats, cooked with red chili peppers, various spices and other ingredients, with the exception of BEANS and PASTA which are strictly forbidden."

A few questions answered from Brandon - my comments in (parens):

1. Can we cook on coals if we have kettles? Sure as long as there is no open flames
(like campfires, I assume)

2. Can we use a pressure cooker pot? Unfortunately there will be no electric
(pressure cooker pots over flame should be fine)

3. Do we need a health certificate to vend the People's Choice chili or do we just give it away? No contestants need health certificates, they most likely will be there to inspect. You will need a thermometer, your own wash sink, gloves.

4. How about cleanup. Are there sinks and hot/cold water? Do we have to bring our own? You would need to bring your own.

5. Is there electricity available to the competitors? no

6. How much room does each competitor get? Most of us have 10x10 EZ up tents. Each competitor will get a 10x10 area so the 10x10 EZ up tent is perfect

7. Asphalt or grass setup area? It is a gravel area

Thanks BigBarry...

so, without electric, I would assume you would need to cook over a kettle unless you had one of those portable Coleman stovetops or camp burners that run on propane...

I think I'm gonna pass on cooking and just support whomever else decides to cook.

Last edited:
willkat98 said:
Per rule #5, he would get DQ'd

Salsa is a seperate category, not something to add to red chili.

No mention about mushrooms you love to add though.

You can't add salsa???????:eek:

Time to go back and re-rerad the rules...

Salsa: there are no rules as to the ingredients or how to prepare your Salsa.It may be prepared at home and brought to the site that day, or it may be store bought and brought to the site, or it may be prepared at the Cookoff.

4. No ingredient may be pre-cooked in any way prior to the commencement of the official cookoff. The only exceptions are canned or bottled tomatoes, tomato sauce, peppers, pepper sauce, beverages, broth and grinding and/or mixing of spices.
OK I had to reread the rules and it makes less sense know. It says that for the salsa competition it can be store bought and brought to the competition. So I can just buy a salsa, turn it in and in theory win? Also I would think salsa is ok to use in your chili as bottle tomatoes, tomato sauce & pepper/pepper sauces are ok. Rather confusing. So am I going to turn in some Hormel chili (no beans) and a jar a Pace picante salsa. I am a shoe-in for the blue ribbon.

Back