Pulling Pork

F

Frisco_Smoker

I'm thinking about some last minute Q for tomorrow. Thinking about trying my very first pork butt. I've never shopped for one what should I expect? How much do they normally cost per pound? How big should I expect to find? And how much time per lb at around 235~250 degrees?

I read the thread in the roadmap and it had cooking methods but not these answers... dont' think. I'm too lazy for searching :)

Gonna cook it to about 175 apple juicing every hour or two, foil it to 200 then pull and let rest for an hour.

Thoughts? Thanks!

I know recipes are out there. You might have to dig a little more.

Here is one from a brdbbq I use on my WSM and it really works
for me.

1:15 to 1:30 per pound

WSM vents:
Top...wide open
Bottom...1 vent..1/2 open should run 10-12 hours at 220-235'

*Fill chaocoal pan full leaving a dent in center
*Light chimney of charcoal, when it is gray
pour it in the middle and spread wood chunks.

*Rub Butt put on Smoker
(Don't add wood after meat hits a temp of 140')
*Smoke until meat temp is 165'
*Pull meat and spray the chit out of it with apple juice,
cherry coke or whatever.
*Wrap in foil, take to a temp of 190' to 200'
*Pull meat, leave it wrapped in foil and wrap with towels.
*Put in cooler and let it rest.
1 to 4 hours the meat will still be hot and ready.

I generally go for about the 7 - 8 pound range. It makes enough to feed the famly for dinner, and leftover for lunch for me.

MAN! You just missed 'em at Sack-N-Save fer .98 per pound in a twin cyrovac pack!

Snooze...you lose.

Ken

TexasGuppie said:
MAN! You just missed 'em at Sack-N-Save fer .98 per pound in a twin cyrovac pack!

Snooze...you lose.

Ken

I saw that add and went buy Sack-N-Save and they were sold out.
I couldn't believe it.

TexasGuppie said:

Snooze...you lose.

Ken

Thanks Ken, I was able to take advantage and scored the last 47 pounds worth (thanks to your other post). Now I gotta learn how to make the pork booty! If you don't mind, how'd you decide to prep yours? Do you brine or...?

man, I wish this thread would've cvome out a week earlier. I'm still kickin myself for screwing up my PB last monday. I can't believe I pulled it so soon and didn't shoot for the right temp.

see my previous thread.

JohnMcD348 said:
man, I wish this thread would've cvome out a week earlier. I'm still kickin myself for screwing up my PB last monday. I can't believe I pulled it so soon and didn't shoot for the right temp.

see my previous thread.

200 seems like it would take forever to get to.. I have a tough time getting my briskets up to 190...

Frisco,

If you spritz your butt with apple juice let the butt cook for 3 to 4 hours before starting the spritz. You want to give the bark that forms on the butt a chance to set up. If you start spritzing you run the risk of spraying your rub right off the butt.

I don't like to foil butts.. I like the bark nice and crunchy... but I'd let the butt rest before pulling instead of the other way around.

Frisco_Smoker said:
Thanks Ken, I was able to take advantage and scored the last 47 pounds worth (thanks to your other post). Now I gotta learn how to make the pork booty! If you don't mind, how'd you decide to prep yours? Do you brine or...?

Man, I am the LAST guy to be looking to for advice as I am VERY new to this addiction. What I did do was very simple: I rubbed it down with Apple City Pork Rub, brought the pit to 225 and smoked that bad-boy with hickory for 14 hours.

Pulled with an internal temp of 190, let 'er rest wrapped in a cooler for an hour, pulled the bone and shredded it up. It was VERY good.

An 8-lb'er gone in under 1 hour.

Thanks to Sack-N-Save I have 38 pounds in the freezer waiting for the next cook.

Ken

Back