THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

morgaj1

is one Smokin' Farker
I've been playing around with different Carolina Vinegar-Based sauce recipes. After some experimentation, I have come up with my version:

• 1 ½ cups Apple Cider Vinegar
• ½ cup Lucky Leaf apple juice
• 2 Tbsp Kosher Salt
• 2 tsp Cayenne Pepper
• 1 tsp Habanero Pepper Flakes
• ¾ cup + 2 Tbsp Light Brown Sugar

Combine all of the ingredients in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Allow sauce to cool, then refrigerate overnight.

You can adjust the amounts of cayenne pepper and pepper flakes to your desired heat level.

Sounds good to me. I usually have been cutting my homemade sauce with cider vinegar to make a "vinegar sauce" since mine is already mostly vinegar based and heavily spiced. I have been looking for something a little more basic though, and easier so I don't have to keep making enormous batches of my regular sauce so I might try this. Thanks!

The only thing that I may have trouble getting in the future is the Habanero flakes. A friend of mine bought me a bottle at a specialty food store while on vacation. I am almost out and have a feeling I will have trouble finding it again.

The only thing that I may have trouble getting in the future is the Habanero flakes. A friend of mine bought me a bottle at a specialty food store while on vacation. I am almost out and have a feeling I will have trouble finding it again.

I make my own..... We plant habaneros, Jolikia, and Jalapeno every year then I pick them, dehydrate them, blend them and vac seal them in bags to use for seasoning all year. It doesn't take many dried habanero flakes to really heat a dish up!

I put a butt on the kamado at 4:15 this morning and after reading your recipe decided to mix up a batch of sauce...... Tastes great, thanks for the recipe!

Back