Superbowl menu question

Im not a diehard fan of ether team,but I do like Ray Lewis as a player.Im not sure their has ever been a linebacker??

But enough of that,I say im keepin it simple..........smoke a bunch of wings the night before and grill burgers,brats and hot dogs before the game.I might make some potato salad as well.

I'd go with the pit beef. Crabcakes are never the same when you try to use "Baltimore style" recipes. They end up turning out just ok. I'd get a big round roast, dry rub it and grill it. Slice it thin and top it with some really thin onions on a really fresh soft bun. That's Baltimore style pit beef.

And I'll ignore all the nonsense comments above about the team! :blah:

Personally I'm making Crab Cioppino, a dish invented in San Francisco. My son is shipping some dungenous crab out to me along with some sourdough baguettes to celebrate a 6th Superbowl win for the 49ers.

For Baltimore I'd go with the crab cakes.

And some Abita beer from New Orleans to honor the location of this years Superbowl.

As the previous poster mentioned, I'd go with Pit Beef as well. If you dry rub it, you'll be doing a lot better than most of the joints around here that just slap that steer on the grill with nothing on it. Blue Crab is also delectable.

Although, I live in the heart of Baltimore I've been a SF fan my entire life. Go Niners!!

San Francisco has a wide range of food options for a Super Bowl party. Probably the best known, as mentioned above, would involve crab and sourdough. Crab melts on sliced sourdough are a standard dish. Or crab cioppino with crusty sourdough for dipping. You could also go more ethnic with Mission-style burritos, or Vietnamese banh mi from Little Saigon (in the Tenderloin). We've also got a huge Italian population, so you could go with deli sandwiches (again on sourdough) using any of the many Italian cold-cuts made here (Molinari, Gallo, and Colombus are three traditional local companies for salami, sausage, etc). There's also a million and one Chinese dishes you can make. (I think it was Landarc who put up a char sui recipe this summer that was great.)
If you're more BBQ focused, you can stick with the California staple of tri-tip. Serve it on sourdough bread, and you're in business.
I think you're gonna want to have some SF dishes on your menu, because the Niners are going to CRUSH the Ravens.
GO NINERS!
Oh man, I would seriously kill for an authentic Mission Burrito ( I'm a peninsula native)
Ooh, chuckies on sale at food lion, got the rest, menu addition coming up...

Last edited:
Jealousy is a bad color on a bunch of you. :biggrin1:

For Baltimore, crabcakes without a doubt. Here is a recipe I got off a Baltimore Oriole message board that is real good.

Here it is folks..
Not all Crab Cake recipes are the same. Most of them resemble each other though. There is no "one" Crisfield Crab Cake recipe. It's just one I developed myself over time from eating so many crab cakes. I'm from Crisfield, so there wasn't much else to do.
biggrin.gif

Crab cake recipes are usually passed down through the generations and kept as family secrets so make sure you guys use it and give me some feedback. MMMMkay?

Big Snutchy's Crispy Crab Cake - I had to think of a name.
biggrin.gif

Ingredients -
1lb of Maryland Crab Meat. Lump is best but backfin is good too.
1 egg, beaten and set aside.
1/4c Mayo. You can also use miracle whip for the tangy zip.
1 tsp of yellow or brown mustard. Do not use dry.
1 tsp of Worcestershire sauce.
Salt and pepper to taste. But if you wan't to get technical you can do a 1/2 tsp of each.

Now for the secret ingredient.. Drum roll please......... Ritz Crackers. Yep, I don't fool with bread crumbs, bread slices, saltines, or panko. Ritz Crackers is how I roll. Take a rolling pin or do it by hand. Just crush em up real fine to make 1 cup.

Ok, now on to the mixing. Pay close attention.

Mix the Ritz Cracker crumbs, mayo, mustard, worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper, and the beaten egg together.

Now for the crab meat. You should probably use the handle of a wooden spoon for this. The object is to keep the lumps together and not mince the crab meat up so do it gently.

After its all mixed up form it in to patties. Generally this makes 6. If you have more then that just remember that they will cook down and become smaller. So try for 6.

Once you have the patties formed, stick them in the fridge for about a half hour to stiffen them up a bit so they dont break apart during cooking. You don't have too though.

Warm the frying pan up to a good medium-high heat. You can use either butter or oil to cook them.

Just before you put each one in the pan sprinkle just a little bit of flour on one side and then put that side down in the oil. Cook for about 4 - 5 minutes on each side or until golden brown. It depends on the heat of your pan. Just before you flip, remember to sprinkle a little flour on it.

There you go folks. Give me some feedback once you try it. Also, I know that the recipe doesn't call for any Old Bay. I think it takes away from the taste of the crab and most recipes don't call for it. But you can add as little or as much as you want too.

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/81602-The-Recipes-Thread?p=1769023#post1769023

Or as mentioned, Pit Beef. Pit Beef stands around here just open the meat and throw it on the pit. Grab a good roll, onion and fresh horseradish and you got your self a Baltimore tradition.

Jealousy is a bad color on a bunch of you. :biggrin1:

For Baltimore, crabcakes without a doubt. Here is a recipe I got off a Baltimore Oriole message board that is real good.

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/81602-The-Recipes-Thread?p=1769023#post1769023

Or as mentioned, Pit Beef. Pit Beef stands around here just open the meat and throw it on the pit. Grab a good roll, onion and fresh horseradish and you got your self a Baltimore tradition.

good looking recipe. Backfin meat is cheaper and is very tasty. Claw meat is a little sweeter than lump. We eat a lot of blue crab down here in Texas. Good stuff.

What if Ray Lewis and a couple others had you at knifepoint....

I'd just pull out my terrible towel. They know better than to mess with the curse. :shock:

CD :heh:

Pending wife approval- Some type of bird to rep the Ravens and foot long hot dogs with a mushroom head for San Fransisco.

My TV does not watch that channel. I'm hoping for a five mile walk, a 15 mile bike ride, a six pack and a Triple D marathon. My wife will want chicken wings cooked on the patio.

This was so much easier when my Green Bay Packers were in the SB. Packer brisket, bratwurst, and cheese.

I'd just pull out my terrible towel. They know better than to mess with the curse. :shock:

CD :heh:

121120.07.jpg

There is also Polock Johnny sausages. These are very good and many of my co-workers from California make me bring a 20 pack when I head out there. For $25 (not including shipping) would make a great gameday food.

http://www.polockjohnnys.com/vgm_search_result.aspx

You can order online but make sure to get "The Works" sauce with it.

Every year I do a themed party with foods from the two teams cities. Looking for ideas to be added to the menu.
Any help would be appreciated.

Definitely pit beef for baltimore, check out chapspitbeef.com

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKzNlADtck8"]Pit Beef in Baltimore - YouTube[/ame]

As a die hard Ravens fan, I can confirm that the most official Baltimore meal would be crab cakes (sacks and Crabcakes, that what Maryland does!) and pit beef along with some Natty Bohs. If you want to try to "BBQ it up" a bit, how about making a tray of nachos in your smoker, topped with lump crab and slices of pit beef along with the usual nacho fixins and plenty of Old Bay? Never tried it before, but I think I just talked myself into it.

OK, pit beef is on the menu. Are there any SF appetizers that are simple.
I don't want to make a career of this.

Back