• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

What are the top 10 to 15 BBQ competitions?

bearnakedbbq

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Being in Alaska we are limited on competitions. I would be interested in attending one or two events in the lower 48, but since I am a newbie I am unsure what events would be the good ones to attend.

I am currently thinking about this one in Sept. http://skeweredapple.com/

What are some of the bigger events to attend?

As a bonus, if there are two major events on back-to-back weekends that are somewhat close to one another I would prefer it. It would be like attending two events for the price of one.

Thanks

Troy

If you have a KCBS GC under your belt, then I would suggest the American Royal. Invitational on Saturday and the Open on Sunday.

One to consider would be the KCBS double header at the end of the year in SoCal. One contest has turn ins on News Year's Eve day and the other on New Year's Day. Likely the first two contests of the KCBS year. Will be held at Knott's Berry Farm and should have 40+ teams at both. I am sure leaving Alaska for SoCal would be appealing at the end of Dec/early Jan. Check the CBBQA board for details.

Being in Alaska we are limited on competitions. I would be interested in attending one or two events in the lower 48, but since I am a newbie I am unsure what events would be the good ones to attend.

I am currently thinking about this one in Sept. http://skeweredapple.com/

What are some of the bigger events to attend?

As a bonus, if there are two major events on back-to-back weekends that are somewhat close to one another I would prefer it. It would be like attending two events for the price of one.

Thanks

Troy

Just my opinion of the biggest festivals.

American Royal BBQ Contest - Missouri - Kansas City - october

National Capital Barbecue Battle - D.C. - june

Memphis in May World Championship BBQ Cooking Contest - Tennessee - Memphis - May

Jack Daniel’s World Championship Invitational Barbecue - Tennessee - Lynchburg - october

Texas Rodeo - Texas - Houston - february

Best of the West Nugget Rib Cook-off - Nevada - Sparks - september

Lexington BBQ Festival - North Carolina - october

-Neil-

Remember, the Houston rodeo, is NOT sanctioned...and is not open to anyone....Ive been a head cook there for 9 yrs for a corporate team....you must OWN a spot to cook,The waiting list is over 5 yrs.. or the free entries for a couple of other comps...

Remember, the Houston rodeo, is NOT sanctioned...and is not open to anyone....Ive been a head cook there for 9 yrs for a corporate team....you must OWN a spot to cook,The waiting list is over 5 yrs.. or the free entries for a couple of other comps...

HSLR BBQ Cookoff is pretty exclusive. :thumb:

If this is a driving trip and you want to stay (relatively) close to home, the one in WA you cited and the following week in Langley BC would be excellent choices. Everyone I've met in the northwest have been very friendly and helpful.

Benny

he did say he wanted to attend, not participate

What temp do you shoot for with head.

Lexington NC BBQ Festival is not a contest. Its a festival only. They had their first contest in Lexington this past April. They are planning on having again next year. Its called the BBQ Capital Cookoff, a KCBS sanctioned event.

Pork in the Park in Salisbury, MD claims to be the largest KCBS event on the East Coast

In the SW the Smoke On the Water event in Vegas was great and I'm sure it will be even better next year. I am sure it will be 100+ teams from all over the US and there is 125k in prize money. I would put that one on your list.

Hehe, sorry man, I thought you were talkin about spectating...

Biggest two that you can enter without a GC on the circuit are:

The American Royal Open 400+ teams
Memphis in May 260+ teams

Maybe not the largest, but certainly the favorite Brethren event is the Battle of the BBQ Brethren on LI.

It's next weekend, c'mon down!

Eric

If you want to do the East Coast;

April:
Pork in the park in Salisbury, MD is the largest event on the east cost with over 100 teams.

June
Swintastic BBQ Festival in Fredrick, MD has over 50 teams and the next weekend is the DC BBQ battle. You could do the trifecta and cook the Big Apple BBQ festival with us the week before if you're really nuts.

August:
Bel Air BBQ bash & New Holland PA are two of the larger East Coast events. You've got a week in between to kill, but you could do Cumberland or (if it comes back next year) Dover.

Not sure they're in the top 10-15, but they are certainly the biggest ones here in the Rocky Mountain region.

Colorado BBQ Challenge - Frisco, CO - usually around 70 teams
BBQ at the Summit - Dillon, CO - usually around 70 teams

Both contests are challenging, especially for stick burners, because you're cooking at 9,000+ feet. O2 levels aren't as high up there :p

Back