Best Way to Gather New Team Members

Brian, like Smokesman said I saw your post on Facebook and any weekend we are not competing ourselves I would be glad to help out Thin Blue bbq if you want.

For the most part my team is just me. I do have 2 close friends that do help a lot with setup, transport etc. We tried running the team at first as a democracy but it just doesn't work. I wish my wife would get more involved with the cooking because she is very talented with flavors and how to fix a screw up.
My advice would be to have potential members hang out with you at a cook-off or two. Some people become royall jerks when they drink.

Thin,

Serious seems to be the key word in your post. Runners, dishwashers, and various hang around types are pretty easy to find. For the record, I have a teammate, he pays half of contest expenses, but our commitment levels are very different. I own all the equipment, do all the practicing and generally get all the headaches. I appreciate his support, but like everything, it comes at a cost. When you accept that support, you have a certain obligation to that person and their wishes. Our team has struggled this year, after enjoying modest(very modest) success in the past, and it has certainly put a strain on our relationship. I guess it depends on how much are you willing to compromise vs whatever benefit you feel an additional team member will bring to the table. I assure you there will be conflicts, a decision will have to be made, and no consensus can be reached......then what?

Just food for thought.

ML

Back