• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Turkey frying question

Good thread, KC, do your thing and roadmap it please!
Good thread, KC, do your thing and roadmap it please!

OK

OK :wink: :lol:

Has anyone ever fried a turkey breast? Like Bill I'm not into the chocolate meat and it would seem inconvienent for markbet and I to split a turkey each time we cook one.

Has anyone ever fried a turkey breast? Like Bill I'm not into the chocolate meat and it would seem inconvienent for markbet and I to split a turkey each time we cook one.

I have learned of a turkey that solves my not caring for white meat. It is called a bourbon bronze turkey, and consists of mainly dark meat. I bought one of those for me, and a honey suckle white which is bred to have more white meat for my wife and whoever else. We do split it up, if the OL takes some of my part there is hell to pay.

kcquer said:

Just buy the fresh, never frozen breast, prepare and fry the same way.

It's all good when done propperly. Smoked, fried, and grilled over indirect heat in the Weber kettle.

thillin said:
kcquer said:

Just buy the fresh, never frozen breast, prepare and fry the same way.

I am reading the second page of this thread, might be a repeat post

KC, I fry boobs all the time. But don't forget the time difference, or you'll spend a day on the shitter.

3-3.5 minutes a pound for whole turkey
7 minutes a pound for turkey breast or whole chicken (smaller cavity in whole chicken, so that is why longer than whole turkey)

7 minutes a pound for turkey breast or whole chicken (smaller cavity in whole chicken, so that is why longer than whole turkey)

When you pull a fried turkey can you check for proper internal temp with a therm like you would smoked or baked?

willkat98 said:
Wayne said:
The drum sticks are the best. One bite and you will forget all about fried turkey.

Wow, I give the drum sticks to the dog.

Don't like chocolate meat

That is why turkeys come with chocolate and vanilla. All my dogs get is the skin.

You're right Neil

Neil said:
It's all good when done propperly. Smoked, fried, and grilled over indirect heat in the Weber kettle.

I am not sure that I ever met a turkey that I didn't like, but when I fix them it is usually smoked. The real reason that I don't have a frier is because working with all that oil sounds like kind of a hassle to me since I do not have a diesel vehicle to burn it in.

kcquer said:

When you pull a fried turkey can you check for proper internal temp with a therm like you would smoked or baked?

I guess you could.

Come to think of it, I never did.

As long as I stick with those times, and get the temp of the oil back up to 350ish, I never checked.

I start at near 400 (maybe 385) before putting the bird in. Your oil will go down about 100 degrees when you gently lower the bird.

Crank up the btus a little, then back off when your into the 330's and let it climb to 350ish.

now I'm hungry again. And its farking raining, so the fryer on the patio is out of tthe question (unless I pop out the dining tent)

Also, on whole birds, check internal temp of breast & leg/thigh. I forgot to memtion that I always use a thermometer.

willkat98 said:
now I'm hungry again. And its farking raining, so the fryer on the patio is out of tthe question (unless I pop out the dining tent)

Only if a tornado is coming, and you have lime to spread on the yard.....

I have a turkey fryer that is four years old, and only used once. It will be going in the garage sale next spring. .[/quote]

I guess I am easily swayed. I was telling my wife about the turkey frying bit, and she thought that it would be a good idea to fry turkey parts. Okay....so I will go to the shed and dust the fryer off. Now on cooking them, some like to inject, in addition do you dip the turkey in a batter, and what would it consist of. I see alot of mixes in the store, just add milk and go, I think it is for chicken, same difference I would think.

Just give the parts a good cajun spice rub down like Tony C's after injection.

thillin said:
Just give the parts a good cajun spice rub down like Tony C's after injection.

I am not familure with Tony C's. Is that available in most stores, or would I need to buy it online.

markbet said:
I am not familure with Tony C's. Is that available in most stores, or would I need to buy it online.

Check your local stores for Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning by the seasonings. It's in a green can shaker.

If not, here is a knock off someone here posted. I havn't tried it.

Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning Knock Off

One 26 ounce box free flowing Morton salt
One 1.5 ounce box ground black pepper
One 2 ounce bottle ground red pepper
One 1 ounce bottle pure garlic powder
One 1 ounce bottle chili powder
1 ounce carton of MSG or 6 tsp. Of Accent or Lawry’s seasoning.

I get it here in TX when it goes on sale.

I would venture to say that anything that is deep fried will tast good. I like fried chicken, steak, pies, apples (wraped in pastry), potatos , onions, ocra, fish, pork tenders, turkeys, and especially cordon bleu. But I really do not want to fuss with the oil. I have a friend that fries turkeys and they are always good, bit not that much better than my easy to fix smoked turkey. I also kind of like the smoked flavor that only happens when you smoke the bird.

thillin said:
markbet said:

Check your local stores for Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning by the seasonings. It's in a green can shaker.

If not, here is a knock off someone here posted. I havn't tried it.

Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning Knock Off

One 26 ounce box free flowing Morton salt
One 1.5 ounce box ground black pepper
One 2 ounce bottle ground red pepper
One 1 ounce bottle pure garlic powder
One 1 ounce bottle chili powder
1 ounce carton of MSG or 6 tsp. Of Accent or Lawry’s seasoning.

I get it here in TX when it goes on sale.

Don't knock off

www.tonychachere.com

farling awesome stuff

www.tonychachere.com

farling awesome stuff[/quote]

I see they have injectable seasoning also. My OL is going to $hit when I order some more seasoning :twisted: She had to dedicate a whole cabnit just to hold all the stuff I have bought. A case of Blues Hog sauce is on its way to. I am set for the best Thanksgiving day feast we have ever had, meat, meat and more meat, its going to be great.

Back