Homemade brats

J

Jack2u2

Came home from work and decided to pick up some $1.49 lb. butts and make some brats. Ground it up, seasoned and stuffed. Had to much meat and not enough casing, so I made a bratwurst fatty for tomorrow. The pic is half the brats- the rest were steaming. All bagged and in the fridge.

I'm thinkin' the same thing...I stopped at Safeway today and they had butts for $.99 so I bought 2 packs.. I have casings in the freezer, so I'm all set.

Mmmmm....Brats! What's that you stuffed the fatty with? Looks like cheese and...???

Can you tell me what kind of seasonings go into making brats or do you buy something made up for those. Been kicking around the idea of doing sausage of some kind especially Italian.
Dave

Looking real good!!! I love making my own links too............but it's a labor of love. Lots of work. Looking good.

I'm curious about the seasoning as well. Also, did you use natural casings or colagen?

Natural casings - there's a thousand recipes available. I used salt, white pepper, allspice, mace, marjoram, and crushed caraway seeds. For liquid I used white wine.

Back