Bell Peppers and Beef

HankB

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
With a nod to Jet. I wonder how many of you will get the reference.

Anyway... this is following the Pepper Stout Beef recipe from the Wolf Pit which was referenced here. I keep hearing rave reviews so I decided to give it a go. Using the snake method on the kettle with a few mesquite chips.

DSC_7624-PP.JPG

And I have a 4 3/4 lb chuckie rubbed with S&P on the fire.

DSC_7618-PP.JPG

I'm measuring about 340°F through the lid vent about 45 minutes after the meat has gone on. I expect temperature to droop slightly as the cook proceeds. Can anyone guestimate when the meat will hit 165° IT? I need to have this ready to serve at 2:00 PM and it went on the cooker at 8:00 AM. A little early would be far better than a little late. I'm planning more or less three hours on the kettle followed by three hours in a Dutch oven.

thanks!

I wouldn't worry too much about its internal temp, so long as you don't overdo it. The Q part is all about the smoke anyway, it'll be cooked so much in the beer that cooking to 165 before you mix it all up isn't so important

Thanks for the tip. At two hours it's at 141°F so I should be good to put in CI at 3 hours.

DSC_7628-PP.JPG

Be sure to enter it in to the beef throwdown currently going on in the throwdown forum

Looks to be well on it's way! Be sure to post up the final results!

Wow, lost my breath seeing the peppers 'n beef in the cast iron! Looks great!

Thanks all for the kind words. I got the idea from the many references to Pepper Stout Beef I saw here. I figured anything that gets mentioned that many times deserves a try and it did not disappoint! :hungry: (The rest of the family agreed.)

Nicely done! That is a crowd favorite around here. Pepper stout beef and pulled pork sandwiches will keep everyone happy!

Back