• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.
I'm not going to bad mouth either set-up but IMO the longer inlet and exhaust are more for looks.
ya the functionality wasn't quit there in the UDS 1.0 (long exhaust and intake up the side) That's why there is UDS 2.0:razz: And your right bubba it does look familiar:lol:

That ain't all that looks familiar

laurel%20and%20hardy.jpg
Laurel_hardy.jpg

i am currently working on my UDS. i just have to questions.

1- the charcoal basket i'm making is from expanded metal 7" tall wrapped around a webber 18" charcoal grate. the grate sits about 2" up. after building it just seems large.
can the basket be too big? should i try and build a smaller one?

2- i'm planning on putting 2 racks. the diamiter of my barrel i almost exactly 22.5. am i going to have a problem getting the cooking grates in and out the bolts sticking in wards? has anyone have this problem?

Here are pics of UDS#1 2" side intake 3"X 14" exhaust now reduced to 8" 's
UDS#2 KISS mod 3 3/4" intake holes adujusted by flexable magnets and 2' X 7" PVC exhaust :icon_cool

Attachments

• 100_0323.JPG
    100_0323.JPG
    78.3 KB · Views: 1,997
  • team UDS #1.jpg
    team UDS #1.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 2,011
Here are pics of UDS#1 2" side intake 3"X 14" exhaust now reduced to 8" 's
UDS#2 KISS mod 3 3/4" intake holes adujusted by flexable magnets and 2' X 7" PVC exhaust :icon_cool

shortened the UDS #1 ? does it work better now

and hows the PVC been holding up on #2 ?

Good looking builds for sure

and GREAT PIC of you and #2

shortened the UDS #1 ? does it work better now

and hows the PVC been holding up on #2 ?

Good looking builds for sure

and GREAT PIC of you and #2

The shorter stack is better. Temp control became easier

No signs of any problems with the PVC or the flexable magnets

Thanks HLS I was hoping I would not have to use that pic of me sleeping from the 7 dorks thread for my new avatar :eek: I like this avatar a lot better LOL :lol:

Hi guys I am currently in the process of locating a drum for my uds build. I was able to locate a guy on craigslist that has them for 15.00 each. The seller says that the barrels were used to store paint. Is that dangerous? Or should I continue looking?

Question is , Is the 30 or so you are saving worth the hassle, or worse making someone sick?

After going over temp gauge issue with Barbarian I want to share a lesson learned. If you use a weed burner to start your UDS be careful how hot you get it inside. I Turbo Blasted" my UDS to be cool and it buried my temp gauge. it was a less expensive one but it was Farked after that.

See I cannot do that. Started the fire at 6.15, smoke pic at 6.25.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought some 1/2 inch conduit nuts, but the threaded part of the pipe nipple is tapered and the conduit nut will only thread on so far.. it is very thin too and won't snug up to the side of the drum. Do I have the right piece of hardware?

Doing a THIRD burn in my drum today.. picking up a used weber kettle tomorrow for $30. I hope the lid fits on my drum..

I felt I should do a third burn because I still have paint and lettering on the side. I tried burning it off with my propane weed torch, but I think my torch is defective... While i was trying to burn it off, flames started coming out the side of the torch head as much as out the front and the 'blaster' thing doesn't do anything anymore. I had enough flame to light some charcoal, but it took a lot longer.. any ideas on how to fix this torch? I knew I shoulda bought the more expensive one with the igniter. *sigh*

B
If You hold the torch too close to the barrel the torch heats up and they ignite like that, also if you hold it too close with the self igniters you melt the elements. We use the same torches in the asphalt bussiness!!!!!!

I just found a deal on reconditioned barrel for $20 the guy I talk to said that these are just like new. But there sealed on both ends is this going to be a issue. I hope to make a trip to DM to get a few I am thinking 4 barrels from the sound of it once you have one you need one more. That and the BL want to make one also any fed back on this would be great.

Thanks CornFed

Go for it! ask them if they can dehead them for you. I would be concerned if both ends are sealed yet reconditioned. Ask them how they do it.

Go for it! ask them if they can dehead them for you. I would be concerned if both ends are sealed yet reconditioned. Ask them how they do it.

I will have to ask they are an oil company that my food locker but me in touch with and the guy I talk to said they have to be so clean that there is no contaminates for the other oil when they reuse them.

I will have to ask they are an oil company that my food locker but me in touch with and the guy I talk to said they have to be so clean that there is no contaminates for the other oil when they reuse them.

Burn baby burn!!!

Another coal box question. I have read probably every post about UDS but am curious to know if my coal box might be too big. I was trying to figure out what I wanted to build a coal box out of without spending too much $$$ so I went to a local scrap metal yard to get some stuff and noticed a 30 gal drum in a scrap pile. I asked what they would sell it for and he said $4.00. I couldn't pass that up. I cut the bottom off for an ash pan and 9 inches off the top for the box. It is 18" diameter and 9" deep. It seems that the common size is 15 to 16 inches. Has anyone who built a big basket wished they would have made it smaller for some reason?

My thinking is I can make a smaller ring for shorter cooks and for long cooks I will have the capacity I need.

coalbox1.jpg

coalbox2.jpg

WOW....nice farken basket!!
Problem will be if your grate bolts are sticking in too far.

A little advice.....drill about another 50 holes in the side of your basket, for what little air these drums use, it needs to be able to get to the fuel.

BTW....install a handle so you can lift that bad boy outta there!! :cool:
(basket on ground)

Attachments

• UDS Pic's 057.jpg
    UDS Pic's 057.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 1,857
Back