Getting away from thin blue smoke

We need Donnie in here to REALLY stir things up!

Is this where someone stirs the pot by saying the true BBQ style is HOT AND FAST with plenty of smoke?

AND...

A guy from Georgia will say the wood has to be Peach.
A guy from Alabama will say the wood has to be Pecan or Hickory.
AND... The guy from Texas will spout off long and loud that the only true smoking woods are Mesquite and Scrub Oak...

Could it be that a lot of these guys are a little bit right.
OR
Are they a little bit wrong?

Last edited:
Is this where someone stirs the pot by saying the true BBQ style is HOT AND FAST with plenty of smoke?

AND...

AND... The guy from Texas will spout off long and loud that the only true smoking woods are Mesquite and Scrub Oak...

Could it be that a lot of these guys are a little bit right.
OR
Are they a little bit wrong?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ubTQfr_tyY

:thumb:

My women folks like light smoke so I'm a blue smoke fan (cause a big fan of keeping women folks happy.)

I just found out I might be from Georgia or Alabama . . .

My family did come to Texas from Georgia in the 80s . . . (1880s).

When I started on this group was smoking with peach wood. I hunted where a friend had a peach orchard so free peach wood was available (along with fantastic peaches).

Then started hunting in Arkansas and hickory wood was available. So I then started smoking with hickory.

Then my son brought me a truckload of pecan wood for Father's Day a few years ago and
. . . you got it . . . I then switched to pecan.

Recently restocked my pecan stash when in Arkansas and my hunting partner found a pecan tree down.
Was kinda hoping to score some free hickory wood that trip.

After looking at all that guess I'm mostly just a cheap farker.

My women folks like light smoke so I'm a blue smoke fan (cause a big fan of keeping women folks happy.)

I just found out I might be from Georgia or Alabama . . .

My family did come to Texas from Georgia in the 80s . . . (1880s).

When I started on this group was smoking with peach wood. I hunted where a friend had a peach orchard so free peach wood was available (along with fantastic peaches).

Then started hunting in Arkansas and hickory wood was available. So I then started smoking with hickory.

Then my son brought me a truckload of pecan wood for Father's Day a few years ago and
. . . you got it . . . I then switched to pecan.

Recently restocked my pecan stash when in Arkansas and my hunting partner found a pecan tree down.
Was kinda hoping to score some free hickory wood that trip.

After looking at all that guess I'm mostly just a cheap farker.

Lmfao! I'll be a cheap, keep the women (family) Farker with you. I get my pecan free when the farms prune the tress in January or so. I will stop and pick up limbs from fallen mesquite trees, I will pick up fruit wood wherever I can find it. I have gone to the city dump and come back with mulberry, plum, pecan, mesquite and even oak. People just don't know what the hell they are throwing away!

Too funny.

Bob

Wow, 13 pages on TBS. Only read the first page.

My take on BBQ. I've come to the conclusion that everything you add to your cook changes the outcome of the final cook. Well Duh :wink:
You want everything you add to complaint your food, not overpower it. So basically, less is more. And that includes smoke.
I've heard pellets don't add enough smoke. Never tried them so just something many say here. That could be the exception.

Good night I just read this whole thread at the refinery..... many varying opinions.... I’m of the camp if you like it and your folks like it.... at the end of the day that is 100% all that matters.... right for you may be wrong for me... wrong for me may be right for you... are there really any absolutes .... absolutely not.... but that’s my opinion.... I’m one thT has just always cooked.... I’m not a temp watcher.... a stack police.... nor a smoke guru.... at the end of the day if the ones eating my food like it... it was succcsessful no matter how I got there.... I drive a Tundra.... Tyler has a Ford F-350 dually... the end result is we arrive at the same place we just got there differently.. I was a good cook before I came to this site... I’m a better cook because i came here listened... took what I liked... ask questions.... discarded what I thought was good but did not work for me.... heck I’ve actually had people mad at me.... because they were seeing to many Shirley cooker post.... they don’t even know me.... but it was like a bur in their bottom end..... why would they just not... not read the post.... because it’s himan nature to want our way... aight all that was for free of charge.... I learn from all of you... and most of the time you never even know.... I’m kinda like a thief in the night.... I take what I want and get the heck out of dodge.... I’ll say this
If KBB charcoal is bad..... I am
In a mess........

Yeah, like I said on another site, I'm through with KBB as soon as my last 500 lbs. are gone.:wink:

Using my UDS, I eliminated some of the white smoke and grease fires by putting a pizza pan 4" under my grate. Still get some.

I get less White smoke when I raise my temps. BTW: I don't use as much Pecan wood as I once did.

I start with wood and lump charcoal, but when It's gone I usually don't add much more wood. Meat gets darker than I want with too much wood.

I like to give a brisket about 6 hours in the crockpot. Then I tie a rope around it and run it up the fireplace. A few passes through the chimney and it has just the smoke flavor I crave.

LMAO!!!
I swear I am laughing tears from some of these posts!

Back