Anyone remember comp at Mad River in Vermont?

HeSmellsLikeSmoke

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I remember that a KCBS competition was held at Mad River Glen up near Sugarbush in Vermont several years back. I believe it ran for at least a couple of years.

Does anyone here remember it? Did anyone here enter it? Was it a desirable event to compete in? Well run?

Madriver is about 5 miles from my house.

I remember that a KCBS competition was held at Mad River Glen up near Sugarbush in Vermont several years back. I believe it ran for at least a couple of years.

Does anyone here remember it? Did anyone here enter it? Was it a desirable event to compete in? Well run?

Madriver is about 5 miles from my house.

It was a fun event. I remember one year it rained like hell though.

Some people in our Rotary club has been toying with the idea of holding a "BBQ Contest" as they call it. They have no idea of the KCBS rules and requirements. They are imagining a "Taste of 'Cue" type of event where everyone buys tickets and comes to eat food from the various vendors. Every ticket buyer gets to vote on the "Best BBQ" in various categories . A type of "People's Choice" event on steroids as best I can figure.

Someone said -- There used to be one at Mad River Glen, but I don't think they know anything about the details.

I have said that a sanctioned event does not work as they presume and would have little chance of being the fund raiser they are looking for.

I was just wondering if there really was a competition here and if so, was it a sanctioned event? Looks like they were right about that part at least.

I enjoyed it alot! I remember the Rain and everyone left. I think it was Craig from Crisopy something or another, got so drunk and was all by himself in his tent when we came back from going out to find Chinese in VT.
I used to break into the ski lift area nad sleep up there. There were mattreses up there and it was dry.
That was the contest where we one a 180- in Carolina BBQ Sauce, first in KC Style Sauce also.
We also liked to go to breakfast at Camp Meade's chow line!

they should talk to the guy who owns Tucker Hill Inn, I can't remember his name. He took it over and tried to make a great event of it but no one came to the party.[He lost his shirt which was a shame because he did an awesome job; the cookers were thrilled. I am sure he would help them with details and the +/- of his experiences. Unfortunately, the public can be fickle and it is not as simple or cheap as most folks think.
nancee

quote=HeSmellsLikeSmoke;405933]Some people in our Rotary club has been toying with the idea of holding a "BBQ Contest" as they call it. They have no idea of the KCBS rules and requirements. They are imagining a "Taste of 'Cue" type of event where everyone buys tickets and comes to eat food from the various vendors. Every ticket buyer gets to vote on the "Best BBQ" in various categories . A type of "People's Choice" event on steroids as best I can figure.

Someone said -- There used to be one at Mad River Glen, but I don't think they know anything about the details.

I have said that a sanctioned event does not work as they presume and would have little chance of being the fund raiser they are looking for.

I was just wondering if there really was a competition here and if so, was it a sanctioned event? Looks like they were right about that part at least.[/quote]

they should talk to the guy who owns Tucker Hill Inn, I can't remember his name. He took it over and tried to make a great event of it but no one came to the party.[He lost his shirt which was a shame because he did an awesome job; the cookers were thrilled. I am sure he would help them with details and the +/- of his experiences. Unfortunately, the public can be fickle and it is not as simple or cheap as most folks think.
nancee

quote=HeSmellsLikeSmoke;405933]Some people in our Rotary club has been toying with the idea of holding a "BBQ Contest" as they call it. They have no idea of the KCBS rules and requirements. They are imagining a "Taste of 'Cue" type of event where everyone buys tickets and comes to eat food from the various vendors. Every ticket buyer gets to vote on the "Best BBQ" in various categories . A type of "People's Choice" event on steroids as best I can figure.

I was just wondering if there really was a competition here and if so, was it a sanctioned event? Looks like they were right about that part at least.
[/QUOTE]

Thanks for that info Nancee. The guy that used to run Tucker Inn has sold it several years ago and moved on. I may be able to locate him, though.

Perhaps a caterers/venders only "People's Choice Contest" might work. I will do some more research. There are some large paved areas around here that might be better for a location in case it rains.

I am very glad to hear that everyone seemed to like the location around here - minus the rain.

Back